Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My List Of Homesteading Essentials

Morning At Peaceful Forest Homestead

Homesteaders are different from the main stream masses. We already downsized before it became fashionable. When we chose to go into this lifestyle termed as "homesteading"............. what do you need a big screen television for? What do you need a fancy sports car for? And designer clothes and jewelry? None of that stuff has a place in our lifestyle. It just takes up room and then one day you notice that you haven't used it, viewed it or worn in a year. Out it goes!

So what does a "modern homesteader" need to maintain this lifestyle? I have come up with my list that I will have to keep adding to most likely. It changes over time and is unique to each individual homestead. Some raise livestock for food, some like us, do not. My list will not include them since I do not have them. My livestock are my horses and they are not for food. LOL For pleasure only.........not sure if it for their pleasure or mine!

1. Manual tools - Shovels, Pick, Rake, Hoe, Wheel Hoe, Post Hole Digger.




2. Chainsaw and manual saws such as the buck saw and crosscut saw.
    Essential for heating and cook stove wood. Also for clearing land or getting wood for posts.


3. Cast Iron Cookware - well seasoned and knowledge to use.
    I'd be lost without my cast iron cookware as I can cook in a stove, on a grill or in a fire pit.



4. Canners - Pressure & Water Bath.



5. A good supply of canning jars is especially important.
    Once you have a good amount of these you recycle them by using them over and over.


6. Wood stoves - for heat and cooking



7. Supply of containers to start plants in.
    I start most of my plants in March so I start them in the house in a whatever container I find.


8. Wheelbarrow and garden cart.
    For transporting wood, plants, compost, rocks, water, etc.


9.  Books, Cookbooks, Gardening, References for whatever you are doing.
    If the internet was down or in a SHTF scenario you'd still have references for help.


10. Large glass jars, wooden boxes, baskets, containers to store food in pantry & root cellar.
      Storing foods in your pantry and root cellar needs some kind of containers that pests cannot access.






Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated August 2016

6 comments:

Mary Bennett said...

I'm wondering if you would post more about the use of your woodstove for cooking? I have a woodstove, but in the summer, I do not use it.

As for equipment, it needs electricity, but I really like our vaccum sealer. We can reseal bags that hold ships, some crackers, cereal etc.

MaryB
marynate.blogspot.com

katlupe said...

Here is a link to an article I wrote on The Modern Homestead called "Cooking On A Wood Cookstove" at
http://www.themodernhomestead.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.34

You make your list based on what you use. If you have lots of electric then use your gadgets. Some day, I hope to have much more and will have some of my own too.

The Zany Housewife said...

Great list! All I have so far is the cast iron stuff...

Mary Bennett said...

Katlupe, what kind of electricty do you have? In "dummy" terms. And how do you have the internet and computer? The puter and net are important to me. I like the idea of NO ELECTRIC BILL. I think I'm living vicariously through you!!
MaryB
marynate.blogspot.com

katlupe said...

Take a look at my other blog, http://solarbaby.org and you will see my system. I am working on a post for this blog that will tell a bit about it. You are the second person who asked me about it. Our electric is generated by the sun with solar panels. I NEVER want to be without my computer and internet either! And I'm not, as my power never has a power outage.

Nick said...

Did you make the wheel hoe yourself? What is it set up to do?
In my garden I use this wheel hoe to quickly do both cultivating before planting and then (after switching tools) do the weeding the rest of the growing season. We like it a lot and have actually done a better job of keeping ahead of the weds than ever before.