Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Forest Homesteads


How many people live in the forest? Living in the forest is not like living anywhere else. Though I am sure living in the mountains is the same feeling. Living next to the ocean is the same, and I have lived near the ocean so I know that feeling too. I can't say I didn't love it. I did. I don't know about living in a desert. I really don't think I'd even want to try that. I love water, trees, rocks and plants. What could be better than that?






We have many different types of trees in the forest around us. Behind our home is a good size stand of spruce trees. They grew pretty close together. But they tend to get knocked over at times. Top heavy. You will see whole stands of pine trees knocked over in different areas around here. Our wind does get pretty strong here in NY at times.








Sometimes the trees have a some deformity such as this one. I like looking at the trunk as it is really deformed. I don't know why it grew like that but it catches my eye every time I pass it by. You will see various deformities on the trees every now and then. It could be the way they sometimes grow all crowded together. I don't know for sure.




Right now we have had many hunters out here. Our deer population had grown quite a bit over the past few years. One reason I think is that we haven't had that many hunters. I think this year is the most I have ever seen since we moved here. It could be because of the cost of food. A deer gives you a lot of meat!

Living in the forest gives me such peace of mind. I love it and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I hope that you can at least take a walk in the forest from time to time. Trees give you such a feeling of energy. I think that is why it good to hug a tree if you get the chance.



Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole



2 comments:

Sherri said...

I have always wanted to live in the forest! I have camped in the forest for long periods of time and it created the desire to live there in me.... I used to camp in the mountains of California... and sometimes I could find a cabin to rent. I absolutely loved it... the beauty, the trees, the sounds, the critters....

Sunny said...

Do you have a problem with deer eating you veggies or flowers? Especially the last month or so, the deer have been eating our flowers. I think it is because we had such a hot dry summer that food is more scarce than usual.