Sunday, December 05, 2010

Snowing On Our Peaceful Forest Homestead!

It snowed!


We awoke to much more snow this morning. As you can see we are not getting much sunshine, so are running our generator this morning. It is normal for this time of year. Actually, we were pretty fortunate so far this year, as usually we have more snow than this by now.


Not much sunshine hitting our panels this morning!

Now our horses are outside a little bit more. They like cold weather as long as it snows and doesn't rain. Georgie and Dark Shadow really love eating snow with their grain. I used to hold Georgie's feed bucket, and would always make sure she had snow, as long as there was some to get. Now I can't do that because I have a real problem with walking or standing much anymore. I would like to get back into that routine, because it got me outside every day, and I had a really good bond with my horse. I miss it.



How many inches do you think we got?

Snow and cold temperatures brings more work to our homestead. Shoveling paths, cutting and carrying in more firewood, cleaning wood stoves, babying cats who hate snow and cold weather, making cold weather foods, cleaning off the truck, driving in the snow and icy roads, getting loads of hay in snowstorms, feeding horses in cold weather, etc. You get the idea. All jobs that have to be done. Summer has jobs too, but they seem easier in warm weather.



Nikita LOVES to roll in the snow!


It is nice when we are all cozy inside, with the wood stoves keeping us warm. Smelling something good to eat, either in the oven or on top of the stove. Working on our laptops. All is safe and right with our world, here on our forest homestead, Peaceful Forest.





Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The snow looks very peaceful but as you wrote their are lots of extra responsibilities that it brings. Thank you for bringing sharing your homesteading experiences with us. I hope you return to being able to walk and stand so you can enjoy yourself to the utmost capacity.

Anonymous said...

Katlupe, the pictures in this post are breathtakingly beautiful! It truly is a winter wonderland! And your words that you wrote to accompany the pictures are inspiring.

I sit here and fantasy about living someplace in nature that is as beautiful as where you live -- but I awake from my fantasy when I think about just how much work it takes to have your lifestyle.

You wrote, "Snow and cold temperatures brings more work to our homestead. Shoveling paths, cutting and carrying in more firewood, cleaning wood stoves, babying cats who hate snow and cold weather, making cold weather foods, cleaning off the truck, driving in the snow and icy roads, getting loads of hay in snowstorms, feeding horses in cold weather, etc. You get the idea. All jobs that have to be done. Summer has jobs too, but they seem easier in warm weather."

One looks at the beauty that surrounds you and your idyllic looking world and dreams of living like that someday. But everything in life comes with a price. You work very hard in order to keep your life simple and live in the beautiful forest that you do.

Believe me when I tell you this, Katlupe -- my hat is off to you. How you manage to do everything that you do, and still run businesses and write two blogs -- is totally beyond me!

katlupe said...

As most of the people who visit my blog are also "homesteaders" they do this, and more. Most of them are raising livestock for food, which I am not. What we do is not nearly as much as some of them. I am working on making our life easier in the very near future. It'll be a piece of cake.......

katlupe said...

Bev, the trouble with my knees comes and goes. Cold weather makes it a little more difficult as does when I do too much..........which I do often! LOL I know better! Thanks for the visit and the comment.

Scott or Pam said...

I envy the beautiful scenes with the snow, but not the snow, itself. I grew up in Wisconsin and had enough. Sure is nice to look at though.

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Nice to meet you. LOVE the snow-pictures. Us Californians think we are experiencing cold nights when it hits the high thirties.

Pathetic, I know.

Lori said...

What beautiful pictures, especially the first one with the horse in the background. So how many inches did you actually get? It looks like around 3 inches or so.

I'm not looking forward to our first real snow out here in Colorado. Me and the cold just don't get along.

Glad you're all safe and warm and cozy.

katlupe said...

Thank you Lori! I am not sure how many inches we have gotten already. Twice what you see in those pictures. And my weather report forecasts snow for the whole week. So pretty much....we are deep in it!