Monday, April 18, 2011

Visiting In The City

Riverside Drive in Johnson City, NY
Yesterday, my husband and I went to visit my father-in-law. He lives in Johnson City, NY, which is about 35 miles away from us. For us, it is always like traveling to another world. As far as cities go, Johnson City is not a really big city. When you live where we do, any city seems congested! I look at all those house squashed together and can't imagine that. Most of the houses I have lived in that were in cities were never in areas like this. I don't think I have ever lived in a house that had neighbors behind my house. I would not like that all.




Lupole's house
My in-laws came from living in the country to buying this house, when all but one of their children had left home for lives of their own. My brother-in-law, who is the oldest, never left home. Not ever. He is still there. Now it is good that he is with his father, who at 91 years old, is losing his hearing and eyesight.


An EJ house built by Endicott Johnson Corp. for the workers!
The ramp you can see on the front of the house was built for my mother-in-law when she had to have her legs removed and was resigned to a wheelchair. She loved this house and the neighborhood. She was a real "people person," and the busy bustle of the street they lived on just added to her love of the area. To think she was from the country! I guess it proves that not all country born people want to stay there.


Brother-in-law's truck
You can see how close the houses are. From the kitchen window in their house you can see directly into the dining room of the house next door! So if you are standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes, you can't help but see what the people next door are doing in their own house. I just could never live this way myself.



An easy yard to mow! So tiny!
We had many outside family get togethers in their backyard. The fireplace was built by my husband and his son, Jeffrey. The yard didn't seem so small until they fenced it in. They had neighbors buy the house next door some years back and then had trouble with them. So they had to fence it in and then I realized how tiny it really was.

Our road in front of our house!
We were happy to get back home to our dirt road, trees and quiet, except for hearing the birds singing their evening song. Such a contrast from one house to another! I really appreciate our home once I have been to the city.



Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole

7 comments:

Lori said...

I can only imagine what an adjustment it must be for you and your husband to visit the city. I think about what Colorado looked like when we first moved here in 1995. There was so much green and open space and now everything is so built up. Very different than the life you live. Hope you have a super Monday. I'm so excited to start planting and getting our gardetn going.

Pam's Pride said...

I can not imagine living like that! We have few family members that live in town like that and it just amazes me. My kids would all the time be hitting balls over the fences or who knows what! And the noise! I don't think you would ever have any privacy. Thanks but no thanks! I will stay in the country!

Paula & Skip said...

Well I mentioned to Skip the other day that I found the houses here are incredibly close together. The space between is much bigger in Germany. You may know that our tiny family is looking for a new place to live and currently we look at a 'witch hut' - my fav places, all green around, village close by and cozy enough to take this pantheistic Bohemian in. The other one we are looking at is a 3 bedroom horse farm in Leesburg, VA. 10acre - I feel overwhelmed...to think about it. It is however Skips fave. Guess I will blog about it....

pelenaka said...

Just moved my Mom from Johnson City last June. She too enjoyed that area. I know that your in-laws back yard must seem tiny but to me with no over head trees it seems huge, lol.

katlupe said...

Lori, I always heard that Colorado had the perfect weather. So I would think gardens do well there. Hope you will share some photos of it on your blog.

katlupe said...

Paula, I think I would side with Skip! I don't have 10 acres, but would love it if I did.

katlupe said...

pelenaka,

I suppose their yard would work good if it was all garden. I could see it as a productive urban homestead! Not them though!!!