Sunday, June 12, 2011

Strong Women Shall Overcome

Miss Alice Paul, New Jersey, National Chairman, Congressional Union for Woman Suffrage; Member, Ex-Officio, National Executive Committee, Woman's Party. Edmonston. ca. 1915.

What makes a strong woman? Or should I say what makes a woman, strong? Is it all the trials she has lived through? The more you go through, the stronger you get. Sometimes we don't realize just how strong we are, until we are forced to follow through.

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience by which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Every experience you live through adds to the layers of life you will gain. From the ghettos of the cities, to rural America. to modern high rise buildings to the suburb of every day life...........there are women of all ages, all colors, all nationalities, all financial backgrounds facing the same problems and lost dreams that you face. 


Women welders on the way to their job at the Todd Erie Basin dry dock in possibly, 1943.

If you just make yourself get up and brush yourself off every time you falter, you will find yourself becoming stronger. You will persevere. Pressing forward you will find a fork in the road that will lead away from your troubles or worries. Praying helps many of us. Talking to others. Writing in journals. Just do not ever give up, no matter how bad things may become. It is never over without a fight. 

I am praying for many of my online friends today. Many are going through bad times, be it their health, their relationships, their children's health, their or their husband's employment status. Share their burden, by praying or wishing good thoughts their way. I love each and every one of them. These strong women, who I have come to know, either through my blog, my Facebook page, The Redhead Riter's Community on The Blogfrog or Homesteading Today. But...........there are many strong women, and they too, shall press on. Press on my friends! Press on!




Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole 
Photographs from the Library of Congress 

5 comments:

Lori said...

What a beautiful meaningful post. Thanks for sharing that, sometimes I wonder where my strength comes from, but I'm so glad when I find it.

Have a wonderful week!

Annie said...

Amen, Kat, well said. I'm saying prayers too

katlupe said...

Thank you Lori and Annie. I know both of you have had to be strong women yourselves. And you have come through it, raising children who had the example of a strong woman for a mother.

Patti Hanan said...

Thanks for the uplifting words, Katlupe, and the beautiful old photographs. Women have always had to be strong.

Unknown said...

I loved this. Thanks for the great reminder. I needed that right now!