Friday, July 01, 2011

Cool Wet Summer This Year

 Our forest is lush and green with all our rain!

Summer this year is kind of like 2009's year of "no summer." It has been a pretty cool summer. In fact, this morning when I got up it was 42 degrees. On the first of July, that is a tad cool for NY! So my garden isn't growing as fast as usual. But unlike 2009, I think I will get a pretty good harvest. It just needs some warm temperatures and sunshine. We have had more than enough rain.

 A visitor to my deck yesterday, posed for a picture!

Some of my squash, pumpkin and cucumber seeds did not come up. I planted them directly in the garden from seed and did not have much luck. Who knows, too much rain could have rotted the seeds. Or they could still come up if we get some warmer temperatures. So I started some more in the house and will transplant them into the garden tomorrow.

 Summer day at Peaceful Forest Homestead!

If you have to plant later than usual, that does not mean it is too late for your garden. I know people who always say it is too late to get their garden planted. Well.....no.....its not! Many times I replant areas of my garden after the crops that were there stopped producing. Or if a crop didn't take off after a certain amount of time. I replant that area. Many people plant a winter garden....yes, even here in NY state! So don't give up so easily. Get something in your garden. It is food!

Have a great homesteading day!



 Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole

6 comments:

Pam's Pride said...

It has been so cool here too! It was wet until just a couple of days ago too. Now it is dry in my garden. It is warm but not blazing hot here. It finally feels like summer today and yesterday!

cooking varieties (wan) said...

hi katlupe, its so nice to havr a garden, where i can plant vegetables and some flowers.
fresh greens for good health.
you must be living in a very healthy environment.
would love it rf you can comment on my foodie blog. have a nice day

katlupe said...

wan, I LIKE your blog! I have never eaten these types of foods but they look very healthy and tasty. I am going to try to read more of your recipes and try some of them. I especially like this one with the cauliflower! Thank you for coming to my blog and commenting. ~ kat ~

wan's blog is at:

http://www.cooking-varieties.blogspot.com/

Joe said...

If only you could find a way to send some down here! It's been an unusually hot spring here. 106 degrees today and we had about 12 days in June that hit 100 degrees and above. :( So needless to say, my garden this year is a total disaster! It is just fried...

Lori said...

It hasn't been scorching hot yet this summer either here in Colorado. Our small garden is doing well thanks to my daughter who is so diligent about watering everyday. Our sunflowers are doing especially well and some of our herbs too.

Pam said...

I can't agree more with your advise to 'go ahead and plant'. I have had second plantings take off and out perform the first. I'm convinced night time temperatures make the difference.