Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My Christmas Spirit Is Back

Christmas 1988 - My son, Jeffrey

Christmas is not usually my favorite time of the year. When my son was growing up, I went all out for it. I decorated our house lavishly. We had two Christmas trees, even though I did not decorate the outside with lights like many people do. One tree was white with silver and blue ornaments and lights. That tree was in my big bay window in my upstairs living room. I loved that tree!

Merry Christmas Readers!

My Christmas spirit had vanished. It is rough out here in the cold winter. Usually we have at least a foot of snow by now. Instead we have rain and mud this year. Some years, we did not go anywhere due to the amount of snow we got. Or someone in our family was sick, or had a cold, so Christmas was canceled. It is different when everyone is grown up and there are no children. You can always have it on another day.

Our Pine Tree!

Every year my father has been having Christmas with my niece and her family. So I don't spend the holiday with my father anymore. He does not like to drive on my road to come, especially in the winter. It is a bad dirt road in a secluded area, so I understand. Since my mother had passed away in 2002, my family had changed.

Daddy and me!

For years, I am the one who did Christmas for my whole family. But when I married my husband, his mother would get upset about us not coming to her house.So we went there, since it was so important to her. My parents did not make a big deal of it.

The Way To FIL's House!

Now both mothers are gone, My FIL and BIL live together in a city not far from us. They invited us to come to their house for Christmas this year. A small dinner, his Dad's Famous Chili, if he can remember how to make it! I had just spoke to my father on the phone and he sounded like he didn't want to go to my niece's house for Christmas. So I thought I'd invite him to go with us to my FIL's house. My sister-in-law and her husband will be there too. A small gathering with our fathers, who at 91, FIL and 92, my father, could very well be our last. Though I have told my father to make a new goal of living to be one hundred!

Jeff and my father in the summer time!

So now I have something to look forward to! As long as no one gets sick or anything, we will be headed to spend our day with both of our fathers. We aren't telling my husband's family that we are bringing my father. It is our surprise. They have been complaining because no one comes to visit them anymore. And they really like my father. I can't wait to get there and see our fathers having a nice Christmas day with us.



Merry Christmas to all my readers here. I am not sure I will have the chance to write another post before then. I love you all, and hope you have a wonderful day with your family, friends and critters!


Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated July 2016



1 comment:

pelenaka said...

I see the family resemblance in all of you, Merry Christmas enjoy that dinner.