Friday, January 20, 2012



Self-reliance means to rely on yourself as much as possible. If you are buying most of your food and supplies from the store right now, that is fine. Implementing some changes in the way you do things now, is the way you can get on the road to true self-reliance or self-sufficiency. I have decided to make some changes that will really pull my homestead together.

For me, preparedness is essential. I have been doing research this morning on some of the ideas I am working on. Our garden is the center of that self-reliance preparations. My recent posts have been about planning our garden for this year. I am making a change by planting more green beans in any extra spot I can find. This will be my "extra crop" for this year. Next year, it will be something else. Eventually I may add some beds that will for these crops every year.

New crops that I plan to add this year will be:

  • Asparagus
  • Cabbage
  • Carrots
  • Beets
  • Blueberries
  • Concord Grapes
  • Raspberries
There will probably be more as I work it out. Do a little bit at a time, so it is not so over whelming. Be sure to do something though. Don't put it on the back burner for too long or it may be too late.







Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2012  Kathleen G. Lupole

1 comment:

Bev said...

I like your advice to do a little bit at a time and to at least do something. So often we put things off waiting for the absolutely perfect time (which never comes). Better to at least get started with something than never to get started at all.