Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Cool Weather Garden

My favorite place to be!

We have had such an unusual winter and spring here in New York this year. I am thrilled to have actually planted seeds in my garden already! Never, have I been able to do that in all the years I have lived here. Using the wheel hoe we plowed up our raised beds on the side of the house. The wooden ones. Once that was done, I could not wait to plant something in them.

All planted!

I decided to plant some cold weather vegetables. These are vegetables that like cold weather. They actually do better being started in the early spring, as soon as the ground has thawed. Every year though, we usually cannot  start the garden until late May or early June. That means it is too late to start the cool weather plants. After these plants are harvested, probably in late May, it will be time to plow the beds up again and plant the seedlings I started in the house. Haven't started them yet, but will be doing that within the next couple of weeks.

Called the "snake bed" due to its shape

I spent a couple of days this week planting peas, kale, spinach, beets and cabbage. I have already planted two small raised beds of lettuce and salad greens. Chives, lemon balm and rhubarb are coming up too. My husband also dug up one of our rock raised beds, this one is the biggest and usually the hardest to do. We call it the "snake bed." I planted peas in it. Now we'll wait and see if the weather stays cool, but not too cool, so they do well. Have you been able to start your garden yet?




Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2012  Kathleen G. Lupole

2 comments:

Paula said...

It was so very wonderful warm and now it is fairly cold again. Have this sexy raspy voice of a laryngitis ;-)
I remember your fondness of German food - tomorrows blog post is written with you in mind.

Farmgirl Heidi said...

I love your raised beds and the grass in between rows looks so nice and I bet it leaves your boots clean. Great idea. I love your snake bed. I look forward to seeing it full of plants in bloom.