Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cleaning Tile And Grout



Spring is the time of year for cleaning the house, the yard and the barn. Nothing makes the end of winter more apparent than getting rid of the dust and grime of winter. Living in a cold winter climate means when the snow melts, we have mud. I mean a lot of mud. Our dog and cats come in the house with it on their feet. Now granted all of my pets do not like mud, not even the horses. It cannot be helped though. As much as you try to get around it, there is always more.

A major cleaning job inside the house is cleaning the tile and grout. It is a job that takes a lot of time as the grout gets very dirty. I try to do this job every year if possible. Sometimes I am sorry to say, I have neglected it. There are businesses though, like The Steam Team, in Round Rock TX, tile cleaning, that will do this service for you. They use high pressure steam and they will get every bit of dirt out of the tile and grout. If you work a full time job, and just don't have the time to do it yourself, that would be a good option. Or if you have trouble stooping down on the floor to do this job. Like me, having bad knees or other physical ailment, then it is something you might want to consider. Not cleaning the grout can result in mold in your house and you do not want that.

This is the way I have always done it:

First I fill a spray bottle with vinegar and hot water. I use half vinegar and half hot water. Sprinkle baking soda on top of the grout, then spray with the bottle, enough to soak it. I let it sit like that for about 5-10 minutes, depending on how dirty it is. Then I scrub it with a brush. I mean, really scrub it! The type of brush to use is up to you. You can use a hard toothbrush or buy a special brush and use it just for that. That is what I do. The one I use is classified as a vegetable brush and has hard bristles.

After scrubbing, and if you are fairly certain you got rid of the dirt and grime on the grout, rinse it off and mop the floor. It should look like new for awhile. Of course, I understand The Steam Team would do a better job.





Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2012  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: