Thursday, May 10, 2012

Low Carb Foods Are Good



Eating a low carb diet is not that hard after you get the first three days under your belt. In the beginning you will probably eat more because you cannot eat snacks, sweets or those fillers like bread, potatoes and pasta. It doesn't matter though. "Eat until you are not hungry," is what Dr. Atkins always said. Now what diet ever told you to do that before? I remember those years of Weight Watchers, measuring out my low-fat foods. Starving after I finished a meal. Then going to my weekly meeting after sticking with it and starving all week to find I lost half a pound. I'd cry! My Weight Watcher leader would tell me I was a slow looser and did not have as much weight to lose as the bigger loosers. It was frustrating to me because I exercised a lot too.


Now known as Atkins '72


It wasn't until I discovered Dr. Atkins' books, that I found my answers. In 2009, I finally made peace with the losing weight riddle. Not only losing weight, but the health issues that made me miserable. Every time I have wandered off the low carb path, I KNOW, it is my fault and what I have done to deserve my misery. If I stick to it as my only way of eating, I will be fine.


Cheese is healthy!

What kind of food do I eat on a low carb plan? I know many people cannot imagine a life without bread. But that is exactly what I do. There are low carb breads you can purchase or make, but I find it easier to not eat it at all. I believe breads and related products are just fillers. My mother said my grandfather would push bread on everyone at their supper table, saying, "Come on, take more than one," as he pushed two or more slices on their plate. It filled everyone up at the table. Nobody left the table hungry. Probably all had a "carb bloat" after supper!


Bacon is not the bad food you think it is!

Some of my favorite foods are essential on the low carb eating plans. Foods like bacon, sausages, turkey, tuna, salmon, chicken, eggs, real butter, real cream, salad, full fat mayonnaise and salad dressings. I can make good tasty meals with them. No more snacking on worthless snacks. I can eat fresh vegetables and berries from my garden. If I am smart, I keep a bowl of tuna salad or some deviled eggs prepared in the fridge for those snack attacks. Pretty easy to stick to!





Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2012  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2018


8 comments:

Carolyn Watson-Dubisch said...

Can a vegetarian do this diet? I haven't eaten meat in 23 years, but I do eat cheese and milk and eggs.

pelenaka said...

I have always lost weight by following Atkins, however not using whole grains as fillers is a bit more costly than I can afford right now. Dang that bacon looks good !

katlupe said...

Carolyn, I think on the Atkins website they now have information for vegetarians.

katlupe said...

Pelenaka, I know what you are saying! I have had a struggle getting back on my low carb plan for that very reason. I am back on though and will try to manage it. For me, it is something I need to do for my health.

Mary Bennett said...

My husband has been doing this for years because it helps to keep his diabetes in check.
My youngest son could just not lose weight and was alway, alway, always hungry until he started this diet. He doesn't follow it as strictly as my dh, but he is losing weight, isn't always hungry and feels more enrgetic.
I'm not sure that a strict vegeterian can do this diet, but before cancer messed up my insides, I used to follow this diet, but I used tunafish, and sometimes chicken to make a big salad and I put in different types of beans, about three types per salad, cheeses, olives, pickles,etc because my daughters and I prefer vegetables to meat.

Pam's Pride said...

I actually licked my lips looking at that bacon! LOL!
I sometimes can lose weight really quickly if I combine low carb with exercise. It is always the exercise part of the equation that I usually leave out...slowing down my weight loss!
I recently found out that I am allergic to eggs and anything made out of eggs...mayo! I LOVE mayo! Since I have gone off of my eggs for breakfast and tuna with mayo for lunch 'diet' I have noticed my weight creeping up! :(
I need to find other alternatives that are low carb that do not include eggs.

katlupe said...

Mary, Thanks for your comment! I think people can add some beans if they just monitor the carbs.

katlupe said...

Oh goodness Pam, how can a homesteader be allergic to eggs??? I am not sure what you can switch to if you don't eat meat. I seem to think you don't.