Monday, May 28, 2012

Remembering Our Veterans

Lucille and Robert Lupole 1942


Martial Duty

Just twenty-four years ago, my son,
I sent your daddy from me.
To fight for a cause, which all men said -
Which would make us free for Democracy.

You were only a baby, a bundle of love,
I remembered you pulled his hair.
Then he kissed us goodbye, and boarded the train,
To leave us waiting there.

Tho' I wanted to cry, I hugged you close,
And smiled as I waved your hand.
Yes- we waited son, but he never returned,
For he died in "no man's land."

Now, they have taken you away, my son,
And when you said goodbye to me,
I heard the same cry as long ago,
"To make us free for democracy."

But go, my son, and do your best,
For I know you'll return to me,
To take your place in a peaceful world,
As a man of men among the free.

Written by a soldier at Fort Hancock, NJ
February 1942

My Father, Michael Dran 1942


My Husband, Larry Lupole 1971


My Father-in-law, James Robert Lupole 1941








Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2012  Kathleen G. Lupole



No comments: