Thursday, August 02, 2012

Oven Fried Chicken With Hot Wing Sauce, Mmmm!

One of our favorite meals is my oven fried chicken with hot sauce!

It is common sense to try to save money at the grocery store these days. I grow as many vegetables as possible on my small homestead. I do not raise meat animals though. We eat meat and yes, I understand where it comes from. I just do not have enough land, time or money to raise it myself. I now purchase almost all our meat from a local restaurant supply store and it has made a big difference in our grocery budget.


The chicken at Mainesource Food & Party Warehouse is sold in ten pound bags. If I am canning it, I will buy 2-3 bags so I can put a good supply away at once. If I am using it for a few meals now, then I buy one bag, unless it is for company. If you have a freezer, you can buy more than I do. They sell it in special case lots even cheaper. Stock up when it is on sale. Then when you have time, create some of your favorite recipes with it and freeze or can them. Fast food couldn't be simpler or better!


Oven Fried in Cast Iron Skillets

Oven Fried Chicken

Rinse the chicken pieces with water. Then shake or roll in seasoned bread crumbs. Put them in your skillet or pan. Sprinkle garlic powder liberally on each piece. If you want for additional flavor you can sprinkle Parmesan cheese on each one also 

Pour a little melted butter on top of each piece. Put in the oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes to one hour. Check it to see if they are done. Juices should run clear. We like it moist and crisp on top. It doesn't matter if they are skinless or not. Even skinless comes out crispy for me. Breasts cook faster than legs and thighs, so cut them a little to see if they are done. Nothing is worse than biting into chicken that is not done! When it is done serve with my hot wing sauce below, and you can add a little blue cheese dressing if desired. Much cheaper than buying hot wings!


Homemade Hot Wing Sauce

katlupe's Hot Sauce

12 Tbsp. any hot sauce
1/2 cup butter (can be less, adjust it if needed)
2-3 Tbsp. white vinegar (add more if you made it too hot)
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (adjust to your taste)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Dash of black pepper
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients in a small pan over low heat until the butter is melted. Stir occasionally.

Fresh Salad made by Jeff, my son


This is a really good recipe and easy to make. Add a salad and you have a easy meal that everyone will love! If you buy a bulk supply of chicken, you can make this recipe and wrap and freeze it for quick meals during the week. Try it and tell me what you think!




Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2012  Kathleen G. Lupole


According to the FTC Blogging Disclosure, I have to let you know that Mainesource did contact me about writing a post about how to save money by shopping in bulk. That was after I had posted about their store in several past posts, since it is my regular store. In no way did they influence me on what I wrote!

3 comments:

Holly said...

Hey!! Long time... Life happens... and gets a little chaotic. I do still poke around the blogosphere occasionally, though.

I wanted to say that I will definitely be making your hotsauce for my college boy. Hmmm... bottle it maybe?? He's a hot wing NUT! The chicken sounds yum to me and I always enjoy a crisp yummy salad.

I like your idea of shopping in bulk and canning. We don't have that store here, but we do have Sam's Club. I'm going to check out a local produce market, too. Yesterday we canned salsa and zucchini cucumber relish. Today we're doing dill pickles and sweet relish. We have cucumbers coming out of our ears even after giving a ton away. LOL!!

Thanks for sharing your brilliance! ((HUGS))

* Crystal * said...

Ok, these are AMAZING!!!!! I'm *trying* to get back to my healthier eating habbits (i.e less carbs, refined sugars, more protein/healthy fats/fresh veggies) before I have to buy more jeans (in a bigger size)....

These fixed my junk food craving without detouring me off track (or budget) as far as a stop into Wing Stop would have....

Canning meat is on my "Learn to do list" for this winter.... Have no freezer space & I really need to find a better way to stock up...

katlupe said...

Holly, thanks so much for stopping by! I have missed you.

Crystal, I love to can meat and today I was just figuring out how many quarts I need of each meat for a year. I can vegetables in summer and fall and meat mostly in late fall and winter. You will love canning meat!