Monday, August 15, 2022

Caring For Yourself As You Get Older



One of the things I did a number of years back, when I lived on my homestead was to make a list of all the things I hated about my life. I was miserable. I thought life would just get worse and worse as time went on. I would try to picture what I would be doing ten years from then. It was not a pretty picture. Making a change in your life is never easy but if you want to change anything, you need to recognize that you matter. Yes, you do! You need to put others aside and do what you can for yourself. I always say that self-care is not selfish. It is essential! 




I recognize that there are a lot of people who are living alone now. Especially in the older population. So you would think they would have more time in practicing self-care. In fact, they may have the time but they don't do it. For no other reason then they don't have the incentive to do it. Some people have spent their whole lives caring for other people and putting themselves last. Now when they can really spend the time and maybe money on themselves they don't. There are many people who don't practice self-care because they don't feel worthy enough for it. Negativity gets you nowhere fast! 




Self-care is different in your sixties and seventies. Not anywhere near the way I practiced self-care in my twenties and thirties. Back then I was a stay at home mother and had the time (and due to my situation, the money too) to care for myself. From 1988 to 2018, my life was not my own even though I did not have a child at home anymore. Working at various jobs every day and taking care of a home and trying to make my marriages work took up all my time. 




In my twenties, self-care was all about beauty and my looks. Reading all the latest fashion magazines and doing all the latest trends. When I think back to those times I marvel at how into those beauty routines and products I was. In my sixties and now seventies, I find myself more into healthy self-care practices than ever before. What is important to me now? What will be important to me ten years from now? Not beauty that is for sure. It is definitely my health and my happiness. My ability to stay independent is very important to me. Health and happiness is the key to that independence. Unhappy people are not usually healthy. I am sure there are exceptions. 




In my own experiences, after years of not being able to practice any self-care due to my living situation, I am eagerly addressing it now. These are the things I do now:

1. I take daily minerals and vitamins, extra magnesium and electrolytes twice a day. 

2. I drink water. 

3. Do not eat any sugar, grains, fruits, starchy vegetables or seed oils. 

4. Make sure to eat plenty of protein and healthy fats.

5. Have my hair trimmed, styled and colored regularly (it makes me happy) at my salon.

6. Walk daily for exercise if possible outside.

7. Wear compression stockings (for Lymphedema).

8. Do dry brushing and use Magnesium oil before my shower. 

9. Keep my skin moisturized (important for Lymphedema).

10. Deep breathing (important for Lymphedema).

11. Dental care

12. Vision care

13. Maintain a safe and clean environment.

14. Socialize. Yes, friends are good for you even if it is just a few. 

15. Keep my mind active. I find the computer does this for me. I have many activities on my computer that are not social media that I do almost daily.

16. Family. Connect with family members and stay in contact if possible. 




If you find you need help in doing your self-care there are ways to get help. Call your local office of the aging and tell them what you need. They are there to help and most importantly, they want to keep you in your home. I know people will say they don't want to ask for help because they are afraid they will be taken out of their home. That has not been the case where I live. Instead they send help in some form or other. But you must tell them what problems you are experiencing so they can help.




Copyright © 2022 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2022  Kathleen G. Lupole






No comments: