Friday, May 05, 2023

Why I Choose To Live Without A Vehicle




There are many reasons that I chose not to own a vehicle. I am still thankful not to have one. Cars have always been a big part of my life. My father owned a gas station back in the fifties and early sixties. He liked working on cars and my brother did at a young age also. My brother was driving a 49’ Dodge around the big field next to our house. Over the years, I had many different cars and some were better than others. The last years though, I was poor. I did not have the money to pay for repairs and if I did, I had to use a credit card to pay for it. So it changed my opinion on owning a vehicle when I was moving here in 2018. I decided not to have one. Best decision I ever made!

County Bus


Living in the city enables me not to really need one. In the country you really have no choice. It is more than a necessity. Here there are other ways to get around. A county bus that will pick me up right at my apartment building Monday through Friday. Our building is one of their bus stops. Taxi service that is pretty slow due to not enough of them and many people are using them. I would rather use the bus because it is more affordable and maybe even dependable. I have a mobility chair, “Jazzy” which is like a car to me. I can take it to the grocery store, drug store or dollar store. Of course, I cannot use it in bad weather, especially heavy rain or in the winter. For the most part though, I love using it and it makes going anywhere fun.

The library right across the street.


Not having a vehicle is one of the reasons that I try to use the businesses closest to my apartment. And there are many since I am in the center of the downtown area. There are four parks within walking distance of my apartment. The library is right across the street. The county office building is within the block. My son’s apartment is two blocks away. Restaurants, bars, a coffee shop, 2 drug stores and hair dressers are a walking distance away. 

December 2020


We have winter here in New York with a good amount of snowfall. Cars being covered with snow is pretty common. Tenants who own vehicles have to clean off their cars and move them so the snowplow can plow the parking lot. So glad that is not something I have to even think about. Often they have to park their vehicles somewhere else if our forecast is a major snow fall during the night. So parking in another area and walking back to my apartment would be difficult. I cannot do that.

My niece and me with my car 1988

Not owning a vehicle also means no auto loan, no auto insurance, no auto registration or inspections, no preventative maintenance, no repairs or tires, etc. etc. The list can go on. Not getting stopped by a cop either! I still have my driver’s license and plan on keeping it. I haven’t driven in a very long time, probably since 2019. Quite honestly, I do not miss it one bit. 





Copyright © 2023 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2023  Kathleen G. Lupole


No comments: