Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Happenings Around Our Homestead

Patches, absolutely HATES winter!

We have been having the most unusual weather for December here in upstate NY. I am not complaining though! No snow. Not really cold temperatures. In fact, today I am wearing shorts and we let our wood stove go out. We have had some sprinkling of flurries some days, rained last night. Now if it had been cold like usual it would have been snow. No sun to speak of. The cold could come in at any time though.

Took a dinner to my FIL's house in Johnson City, NY

Sunday, we (my husband, son and I all contributed) made a second Thanksgiving dinner. and took it to my father-in-law's house. My brother-in-law lives with his dad, and they were missing a "woman's touch" around the holidays. They don't eat much between the two of them. So that dinner will probably last them a few days. I made double amounts of everything, and we already finished ours'.

Dreaming of starting seeds in 4 months!

I am already planning my garden for spring. Spring is not that far away now. Less than four months! So I will be ordering seeds I need, though I don't need a lot this year. It always seems to help when it turns cold, to plan your garden. Keeps you mood hopeful that the cold will not last.

Into the forest the eagle flew!

Yesterday, my son and I were out in the backyard while I was washing laundry. All of a sudden he was yelling, "look it look it look it!" I looked at where he was looking, and there was a huge eagle flying low between the barn and us. He was so close! I saw his face so clearly. I feel that was a sign of luck for both of us. Especially since it was the first one either of us have ever seen that was not in a zoo. I wish I could have taken a picture of him. He looked exactly like all the pictures you see of eagles............wings spread out, soaring! Awesome!


Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011  Kathleen G. Lupole




5 comments:

pelenaka said...

It reach or almost reached a high of 60 a few days ago here. I took advantage tidied up outside, let the buns run around on their leash, and sat on my newly scrubbed steps of my stoop watching the neighborhood children ride bikes back & forth. Far cry from last year when people were stranded on the thruway. While I try to enjoy our last hoorah of Autumn I always wonder about the payback, just how deep will it be.
But your right Spring is not far away.

Paula said...

for sure Spring is closer then in September.....
wings wide spread... not the eagles only!

Unknown said...

Oh that description of the eagle just made my heart soar. I think it was definitely a sign of good luck for the two of you! Our winter is finally settling in for the long haul now I think.

Michelle said...

The weather here is unusually warm also. I live in the mountains in California. We are about 4500 feet up. I should need a coat. But, I just had to wear a sweater.It will probable hit when we least expect it. I also had a cat named Patches. She was my baby. She died 2 years ago. I still miss and think of her every day.

Bev said...

That eagle must have been such a majestic sight! When you see it first hand you realize how large their wing span really is. Hopefully it is a good sign.

I have noticed the squirrels by us don't seem as fat this year so I am wondering if it might be a milder winter. We are off to a mild start here in Michigan too.