Thursday, July 08, 2010

My Favorite Squash Casserole!

This Can't Be Squash Casserole!

This is one of my favorite recipes. I don't always follow this recipe if I don't have or can't find the right ingredients. So you don't have to follow it exactly, it is just a basic recipe that you can add something here or take out something there. That's the kind of recipes I like. For our family reunion I had to make it with broccoli as none of my stores had summer squash or zucchini available. I leave out the onions and use the cream of chicken soup. My husband doesn't like either.


This Can't be Squash Casserole

4 pounds yellow squash, cooked with salt,
well drained, mashed
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup bread crumbs, (seasoned
preferred, but not necessary)
1 can cream of mushroom, celery or chicken soup
2/3 soup can milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the onion in the butter just till tender. Combine all ingredients until well mixed. Spray 9 x 13-inch pan with nonstick spray, spread mixture evenly in pan. * (Can be covered and refrigerated several hours or overnight at this point.)

Bake uncovered, in 350 to 375 degrees F* oven until lightly browned on edges and bubbly, about 45 minutes to an hour.

Cooking Over An Open Fire!

Today since I had so much zucchini in the garden, I made the casserole with two big ones and it was great. I cooked it outside over the open fire that my husband built, as soon as he heard me say I'd make that it, if it wasn't so hot to use the oven. So I put it in my cast iron chicken fryer and that worked great over the fire. I wanted to add here that the recipe called for baking it uncovered in the oven, I baked it covered over the open fire. It worked.

Took the lid off to show how it was browning nicely!

We like to cook outside over an open fire anytime. Winter or summer. It keeps our kitchen cooler, even though it definitely is not cooler today. I love to use my cast iron cookware on the open fire as it is very good for cleaning the outside of the cookware by being in the fire. Besides it has that good flavor of the wood fire smoke added to it. Very tasty! Next time I need to make two with these two hungry men here!

Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole
Post a Comment