Thursday, July 08, 2010

My Favorite Squash Casserole!

This Can't Be Squash Casserole!

This is one of my favorite recipes. I don't always follow this recipe if I don't have or can't find the right ingredients. So you don't have to follow it exactly, it is just a basic recipe that you can add something here or take out something there. That's the kind of recipes I like. For our family reunion I had to make it with broccoli as none of my stores had summer squash or zucchini available. I leave out the onions and use the cream of chicken soup. My husband doesn't like either.


This Can't be Squash Casserole

4 pounds yellow squash, cooked with salt,
well drained, mashed
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup bread crumbs, (seasoned
preferred, but not necessary)
1 can cream of mushroom, celery or chicken soup
2/3 soup can milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the onion in the butter just till tender. Combine all ingredients until well mixed. Spray 9 x 13-inch pan with nonstick spray, spread mixture evenly in pan. * (Can be covered and refrigerated several hours or overnight at this point.)

Bake uncovered, in 350 to 375 degrees F* oven until lightly browned on edges and bubbly, about 45 minutes to an hour.

Cooking Over An Open Fire!

Today since I had so much zucchini in the garden, I made the casserole with two big ones and it was great. I cooked it outside over the open fire that my husband built, as soon as he heard me say I'd make that it, if it wasn't so hot to use the oven. So I put it in my cast iron chicken fryer and that worked great over the fire. I wanted to add here that the recipe called for baking it uncovered in the oven, I baked it covered over the open fire. It worked.

Took the lid off to show how it was browning nicely!

We like to cook outside over an open fire anytime. Winter or summer. It keeps our kitchen cooler, even though it definitely is not cooler today. I love to use my cast iron cookware on the open fire as it is very good for cleaning the outside of the cookware by being in the fire. Besides it has that good flavor of the wood fire smoke added to it. Very tasty! Next time I need to make two with these two hungry men here!




Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole
Photographs © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole

12 comments:

Dawna said...

OH! I'll definitely be saving this recipe for future reference.

I love the idea of cooking it on an open fire, especially given that it's been entirely too hot here to cook indoors.

We're working our way toward simplicity and will eventually move our homestead to a bit of land in Missouri. Right now, we're in a suburban location here in NY, near Ft Drum... Might have to acquire a fire pit and see what I can do with that. ;-)

Whitney said...

That looks so good!! I wish we could cook our meals like that; I think it makes everything taste better.

Holly said...

OH!! We love casseroles AND squash!! I'm DEFINITELY trying this? How would you feel about posting this on my Kitchen blog as a guest post? Linking to you, of course. My husband occasionally gets asked to go cook for hunters for a few days at a time. He may want to use this up there, too! (((HUGS)))

Doreen Lombardo said...

Cooking over an open fire pit sounds awesome. I'm going to save this recipe and try it next summer!

katlupe said...

Thank you for your comments! We have eaten this casserole all summer since we had such a good crop of squash.

Yes Holly, I'd be honored to post it on your kitchen blog as a guest post!

Lori said...

That squash caserole looks fabulous. I am so glad I stopped by when I did. My daughter and I are off to the grocery store. We are a family of squash lovers! I am picking up the ingredients needed for this recipe and I'll let you know how it turns out. Many thanks for sharing.

PJ said...

Our garden went to "the heat" literally this year. We got like 6 or 8 squash. That didn't really bother me though. I really don't care much for squash except for "crispy fried" same way with okra. My hubby likes it stewed once in a while, but that's all. I do love it fried though with LOTS of Ranch dressing to dip it in. LOL! It did look good though.

God Bless!
PJ

Marlene said...

Katlupe, this sounds so good! I love squash and mashed is the way grandma used to fix it. Turning it into a casserole seems like it would make it just that much better! Thanks for sharing it!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I love almost anything with squash!!! This sounds great...

Me said...

Looks great. I will have to try it. I had squash last night with dinner and am always looking for new ways to cook it.

http://helpingronald.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

When using canned squash, how many quart jars do you use?

katlupe said...

Romana, Since my squash is all my own home canned summer squash, I use 1 quart jar which is 32 oz. If I am making a bigger casserole, I would add another jar.