Saturday, July 10, 2010

Zucchini Lasagna Recipe

Our Dinner tonight!

I don't usually write recipes on my blog here, but these are timely, as summer squash is plentiful this time of the year. The cost of food in the store has gone up so much, that I try to keep the cost down and love the idea of finding tasty meals made with cheap cuts of meat. Neck bones or very small packages of bones with a tiny bit of meat. I got a lot of meat off a cheap package of pork neck bones. I am going to be experimenting with more of these.

The meat in this recipe can be ground beef, pork, lamb, sausage, whatever you have and how much you like. Or the meat can be pork, beef or lamb neck bones.

Pork Neck Bones Are A Frugal Bargain!

Brown ground meat in your skillet, or if using meat bones, put the meat in your cast iron skillet and cover with water. Let it simmer, covered, for an hour or so till tender. Then split the bones apart and scrape and cut the meat off them.

1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 4 ounce can tomato paste
1 clove crushed garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon basil
2 beef bouillon cubes

Simmering Sauce

Pour the sauce ingredients into the skillet that you simmered the meat in, leaving the water that it was boiled in and heat. Then add the meat and simmer for an hour or more. The longer it simmers the better it gets. If you are using ground meat, drain the grease off first. If you want to get more grease off, rinse the meat with water and drain or pat dry with a paper towel. I only do that if the ground meat is really greasy.

Mixing Cottage Cheese With Seasonings & Eggs

While the sauce is simmering, mix the following ingredients in a bowl:

4 cups cottage or ricotta cheese
2 large eggs, beaten
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons parsley
½ teaspoon salt
Mix all together and set aside.

Zucchini Replaces Pasta Wonderfully!

1 -2 zucchini sliced, this again, can be whatever vegetable you want and how much you want
3-6 cups of grated cheese, such as Mozzarella, Cheddar (what I use), whatever you like

Put the sauce in bottom of the pan and then a layer of zucchini slices. I use a cast iron frying pan and I will be cooking this on an open fire. It can be baked in an oven.



Cover that layer with sauce, add a layer of the soft cheese mixture, then shredded cheese.



Add another layer of zucchini, more sauce, a layer of soft cheese and shredded cheese I only did two layers because of the size of my pan, but three layers would be good. You may have to increase the amounts of the other ingredients depending on your pan size.




It really doesn't matter what order you put your layers in, though you do want to end up with sauce on top and shredded cheese on top of that.




If you are baking this in your oven then cover lightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 F for 45 minutes (serves 8).

Bubbling Nicely!

If cooking on a open fire like we did, make sure you made it in a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven


Cast Iron Cooking On A Open Fire!

My Dutch over is not large enough for this. Then cover it with another large cast iron skillet, lid or aluminum foil. Place it on the coals and let cook undisturbed. Remember when cooking over an open fire you have to keep an eye on it or the bottom can become charred. Mine did, but this is the way my husband likes it. I am lucky as this way if I burn something I can say I did it on purpose for him. One of my wifely tricks.........

Finished!

Now is the time everyone can dig it! You can adjust this recipe any way you want. In fact, use your own recipe for lasagna and use noodles...........we do try not to eat white flour or processed foods, so the replacement of vegetables from the garden for those store bought products is not only frugal, but healthy!

Enjoy!


Cooking outside makes meal time so much easier in the summer time. Since I do most of my cooking on a wood cook stove, this give me a break. My husband watches the food cooking outside for me. I just have to prepare it and clean up. I can clean up a bit, while it is cooking. Keeps the house cooler too, especially when it is hot and humid. 



Copyright © 2010 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2010 Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2015

7 comments:

Ginny Marie said...

My husband doesn't mind when I "blacken" things, either, and now my daughter is starting to like burnt edges! Not that I burn dinner very often...

I'm definitely going to try this lasagna! I love zucchini, and this look delicious!

Unknown said...

That looks sooo good ... and I cannot believe I've been a "follower" of your blog all this time without truly "following."

You have a ton of wonderful things to share here ... from this point forward, I will strive to pay better attention :)

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! Thanks!

The Redhead Riter said...

Looks totally delicious. I love all kinds of lasagna, but I bet it is especially yummy cooked on an open flame.

Anonymous said...

my kids and husband refuse to eat this, but I eat it all the time. I just make a mini zuchini lasagna for myself.

Sunny said...

I would love to try veggie recipes like this but my husband will not eat zucchini. I enjoyed reading about your cooking on an open fire and will become one of your followers.

Shabby Chic Boho said...

This looks so good, I am going to have to give it a try. I've never cooked outdoors like that, I bet it made it even better.