Monday, August 22, 2011

Learn Your Homesteading Skills Slowly

We learned about alternative energy!

One of the things I have learned about modern homesteading or living a self-sufficient lifestyle is that you don't have to do it all. Do little bits at a time. Learn to do one thing before you move onto to another. Finish learning before tackling something else. I know I haven't always done that. That is why I know not to do it anymore. If you try to take on too much at once, it will seem overwhelming. You might want to give up. There are no rules, do as much as you can. Little by little. You can do it! I did.


I learned to can!

That is another reason it is good to learn much of your homesteading skills before you move to your homestead. We learned how to can, how to wash laundry by hand, how to garden and how to make homemade bread while living in an apartment. Our apartment was in the country, but in a very busy area and there were many other renters. We were fortunate in the fact, that nobody else was into this. So nobody else wanted to harvest the fruits from the crab apple or pear trees that grew there. It was an old farm that had been turned into apartments.


Our clothesline!

Living there was where I had my first clothesline as a grown up. When I was a child, my family had one at several places. But this clothesline in our apartment ran from our upstairs tiny porch out to a pole in the yard. I loved it! My husband and I did all our chores together. Some of the time I was working a full time job and he was not. So he did more of the chores than I did. Sometimes it was the other way around, him working and me at home. It was a partnership and still is to this day. Working together gets us further down our path.


Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011  Kathleen G. Lupole





2 comments:

d'Artagnan said...

I'm learning to learn one thing at a time as well. My current project is learning to bake homemade bread.

Unknown said...

You're so wise to take it little by little. It's so tempting to dive right in, but it really is much better to pace yourself!!