Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sights Around Peaceful Forest

Hobo on our morning walk


Hurricane Irene didn't do much harm to our little homestead. The center of the hurricane didn't actually come here. With so much preparations being made in New York, I was not sure how much of the effects of Irene we would be hit with. We are about five hours away so I wanted to be ready in case. Just wind and rain for us and that was fine with me. I am quite used to both, and many times our wind and rain has been much stronger than that.


Tawny avoiding the camera!

Our weather here though has already cooled off considerably. The trees are starting to turn color and the robins are not out and about as much as they were in the yard. When they start planning their fall trip south, they hang out in the forest more, eating the fruits of the forest. Packing on that weight for the long trip! I enjoy each season of the forest. But after last winter, I am kind of dreading it. We still haven't finished building the battery room and root cellar stairs. We really need that finished to make winter a bit easier around here.




Elderberries grow through out the forest!

I have been getting a good harvest of squash and cucumbers from our garden so far. Soon the elderberries and the apples will be ready too. That is, if I can get the elderberries before the birds do! They already got all the grapes! I will have to buy some of them locally for canning. The elderberries I will use to make some tincture for preventative use, and some for jelly and juice too. If I have enough.



The backyard raised beds are looking good!


All in all, we have had a very good summer, very productive in the garden. I have been able to can much food for our pantry and will be doing more in the next few months. Fall is harvest season!




Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011  Kathleen G. Lupole

1 comment:

Paula said...

Oh I love elderberries! Particul;arly as sirup and turning it into a refreshing drink during Summer.