Saturday, February 18, 2012

Country Living For Me



I love living in a rural location. Too many years of my life were spent living in, visiting or shopping in cities. I have been in many of the biggest cities. So it is not like I have never been in one or didn't know how to get around in one. I did. And I do. My life though, living in a state forest has been the absolutely best of all of my life. I love the forest and everything about living in it.





It is not that I don't like people or neighbors. I do. Just not right next door. No problems here with anyone in all the years we have lived here. We are by ourselves most of the time and enjoy the solitude of the forest. For some people, that is not always the best thing. I know for my son, he goes back and forth a lot. He will get where he has to move back into the city, for he misses people. He doesn't talk to anyone unless it on the computer or his cellphone while he is here. For my husband and myself, it has never been a problem.



Our area is surrounded by state forest land. The Fingerlakes Trail runs in front and behind our house. The Ludlow Creek is a peaceful little creek that runs along it. When it rains a lot you can hear the creek running. I love the sound of it. It never goes dry, even in a drought it keeps running. You can swim in it or fish in it. The natural world is less stressful and healthier to spend your daily life in.





Living in a rural location, we are able to have horses. It is very peaceful for these girls. Nobody bothers them and they live their life feeling safe and cared for. The only excitement they have is when the hunters come out in hunting season. Occasionally we hear coon hounds at night when the hunters are hunting at night. For the most part though, it is peaceful and safe. Having horses is like having big watch dogs. They are very alert to anything going on in the forest around us.



If you are a person who likes living in a city, that is good. Nothing wrong with that. It is a good thing that there are some people who want to live in the city. Or the country would be way to crowded, and not country at all. Enjoy whatever you prefer. Life is too short to spend it where you do not want to be. Choose what makes you happy. I did.





Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2012  Kathleen G. Lupole


2 comments:

hillbillygal said...

We live in a rural area but we do have close neighbors. As the years go by, I feel more and more drawn to looking for a place in the woods a bit further away from others.

d'Artagnan said...

I'm so envious of your rural life! Living in Iowa is pretty rural as well, but my dream is to have a homestead with a bunch of critters and a big garden.