Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Prepare For Loss Of Income As Well

Blizzard of 2011

Preparing for natural disasters such as storms, earthquakes, flooding, etc. is all well and good. One of the biggest reasons to prepare though, should be in case of loss of income. Loss of a job, loss of the wage earner due to illness or death, or divorce. Yes, divorce can happen to anyone when they least expect it. I know, it happened to me. Of course, that was before I was into preparedness or homesteading. I came out of that divorce pretty bad off, considering how I was living before it happened.

Home grown and home canned!

Growing and canning your food, as well as stocking up on supplies, all takes money to do. Learn to save your seeds from one year to the next. Swap with others for plants you want to try. Buy items to stock up little by little each week or month. Once you have done it though, you can look at all those assets you have. If anything happens in your life like a divorce, or having to leave your homestead and move somewhere else, those are the first items to pack. All the material goods in the world will not supply your main needs which is shelter, water, heat and food, and not necessarily in that order.

The key to preparing is in the garden!

This is going to be my year of stocking up even more. I am planning on buying local produce in season before my garden starts producing. Local producers start their plants in greenhouses, then they get a big jump on the gardening season here in our zone five. As you know, I have been busy making the plans for the garden, and those are a part of the whole picture. I start seeds in the house, but it isn't the best place to do that. We don't have a lot of free space, and our house gets cooler at night than seeds like.

An electric garden cart makes my chores easier!

As you age, some of the jobs become harder, but they also give you a sense of accomplishment. The food supply is my accomplishment. I hate to make my husband or son have to help me when I get worn out. They do, and will without complaint. I have been finding easier ways of doing the jobs that are hard for me. Both of my knees have gotten very bad, and I have learned to be patient and rest. After awhile, I can go on and do whatever it was that I was doing. Altogether it is a part of the bigger picture......preparing for everything, life tosses your way! Are you prepared or just getting started?




Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2012  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2011


1 comment:

dreaming in maine said...

I've been taking small preparedness steps one at a time. It's a work-in-progress. I do store seeds, have a small greenhouse and have a garden plan in my head for the summer. I've got a few things started indoors already, and like you I have limited space. Check out my peace-in-a-pod garden blog to read about winter sowing! I think you'll be excited to see what you can start to do this month without having plants indoors!