Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Precautions For Staying Safe



Aging in place is the trend now for us older adults. And why shouldn't it be? Getting to a certain age and then being told you have to do this or do that is not something to look forward to. Thankfully, I have an apartment I can do that in. I was not able to do that in my previous home. It was impossible. Even though back then I could walk better than I can now. A house can be set up for aging if you get to work on it before you need it. In my opinion, all houses should be built that way no matter what the owner's age is. The last few years of living in my house I had to sleep downstairs in the living room. First on a couch and then finally when I could afford it, I bought a single bed. I hated sleeping in the living room because I had no privacy. 




I feel safe here even though it is downtown and there are homeless people, druggie people and bullies here as well. No matter where you live they will always be present as well. I take safety precautions constantly and am always aware of my surroundings. It may sound like I am not friendly but I discourage strangers coming up to me when I am out. One guy who hangs out at the grocery store would come up to me when I am in my mobility chair  and grab my hand. I do not like that and I have avoided him and if I do run into him I do not talk to him or respond to him. Now he leaves me alone. He may very well be harmless but I do not like strangers touch me even if it is just my hand. Who knows where that hand has been? Or who else he has touched? Spreading germs from person to person. 




I do not carry a purse when I go out on my mobility chair or walker. I don't carry cash unless it is just a few dollars. Normally I carry a debit card and use that for any purchases I am making. I recently changed from a large wallet to one that is small enough to fit in my hand. I conceal it in the seat of my walker which is safer than having it on me unless my walker is stolen. In all my time living here, I have never had a problem with anyone. In fact nobody has ever approached me to ask for money. There are many different products I found on Amazon that are made for protecting yourself when you are out. A senior or disabled citizen is an easy target for someone to rob you. I always study any person near me so that I am aware of what they are doing. Especially if they seem interested in me or what I am dong.




Keeping my apartment locked even if I am just going downstairs to get my mail or going across the hall to speak to a neighbor. A stranger can get into our building by visiting someone they know who lives here. That is always a possibility. The best thing I can do is to always be aware of others on my hall or in one of the public areas. Public areas are always watched by the video cameras through out our building. Another thing I do is to limit who I let into my apartment. A number of them have wanted to come in to see "Rabbit" but I still limit that until I know them better. I don't mean to sound paranoid but I lived a long time with barely any interaction with others. After moving here, I was cautious and remain so today. 






Copyright © 2024 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2024  Kathleen G. Lupole




No comments: