Monday, March 25, 2024

I Love Lighting and Lamps In My Apartment!

My Office

When I lived on my homestead with my husband I had to endure living in the dark. Most of the time we used kerosene lamps. They were nice but they were not bright. The only way I could stand the evenings after he turned our inverter off for the day was to read on my kindle. I carried a flashlight constantly. I still have the same flashlight which is charged by sunshine. I remember spending time reading magazines at the kitchen table with two big kerosene lamps. Kerosene lamps were a lot of work. Plus the fact that they smelled. I got used to it but odors and smoke really bother me. So it took some time. 


Living Room Area

In my home now which is a small studio apartment, I rarely think about not having enough light. I have four lamps and two overhead lights in the main part of the apartment. The kitchen has one big overhead  light and one smaller one over the sink and one on the stove hood. The bathroom has one overhead light and a second one that is not very bright. Of course, the one over the mirror and sink is very bright and good for putting on make-up.


My Kindle

If you have never lived with limited lighting you don't really think about it. It is not something I would want to do again. Or not having running water, but that is another story. For one thing I don't think it is good for your eyes to be in the dark all the time. Trying to do different tasks in the dark was hard for me. I read books aloud in the evening to pass the time until bedtime but I had to use a flashlight. After I got the Kindle I was able to read without the flashlight. 


My Roommate!

In the morning I usually have two lamps on and the overhead light while sitting here at my computer. Since I have no reason to struggle without electric lights any longer I don't. My computer is well lit but I like the extra lights. Once the sun comes up my apartment is flooded with light. The sun not only lights my apartment but heats it as well (whether I want it or not). Since I suffer with MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) not having to deal with kerosene lamps, wood stoves or batteries charging has been a big improvement for me. Back then I didn't know it was an actual condition. Now I can deal with it since I have learned much about it.


Fairy lights above the cupboards along the vase collection

As you age, lighting is really an important element of safety in a home. So called "experts" say it is good for you to sleep in the dark with no lights of any kind. Not for me! I have two strings of fairy lights here. One is in the kitchen on top of my cupboards. They are always on and I consider them my night light. I can get up during the night and see where I am going. I feel safer having some kind of lights on during the night. Knock on wood, but I have never fallen. It is my biggest fear especially how I would manage to get up off the floor. The emergency squad is always coming here to my apartment building to help someone who has fallen. It is a common occurrence at a senior living residence. Better to be safe than sorry later.




Copyright © 2024 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2024  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: