Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Lil' Red, My Little Red Hen



In my previous life, I lived a cushy life. Had my hair and nails done at a salon almost weekly. I had a membership at an exclusive health club plus I had a beautiful home gym in my home. I went almost daily somewhere to "race walk", like the various school and our local university tracks. Drove a beautiful corvette that I stored every winter. Now, I look at myself in my mirror and say "how did you ever stand it?" What a waste that existence was!


Now I think about all the money I spent on those trivial things.......and think about all the great homestead tools I could have bought instead! I keep picturing my first husband, (who was a Long Island transplant) if I brought home a pet chicken and told him, that she was going to be living in a dog kennel in our kitchen! Wow! What a reaction that would have set off!


My present husband and I were certainly meant for each other, just didn't find each other till later. So we are making up for all that lost time. Anyway, I received a call from my mother in August of 2000, and she told me to come to her house and she had a chicken for me. I thought she meant one in the freezer or something along those lines. She said to bring my cat carrier......??????? So when I got there, my niece was carrying a big Rhode Island Red chicken around under her arm. Now, I was into homesteading, but had no experience with chickens as of yet, but I had to act like I was not afraid of being pecked and know what I was doing. So I brought her home.


She had come onto my parents' porch the night before, and my father saw her and shooed her away. He had no idea where she came from. They live in the country, but do not have animals themselves. In the morning she was back on the porch perched on a bench with her head under her wing, sleeping. So the kind hearted Daddy that I have, fed her some scraps.


So I brought her home in the carrier and she seemed fine. I was cooking supper and my husband was sitting on our deck with the cats and our dog around him, when she just flew up onto his lap. She just sat there. I think she was trying to butter him up to letting her stay.


I was trying to figure out where to keep her. We live deep in the state forest in upstate New York, and there are lots of critters out in that forest that like chickens. So I dug our dog, Nikita's puppy kennel out that she had long ago, outgrown. Made a little box for our chicken to sleep in. Added newspapers on the bottom and fastened a water and a feed dish on with one of those little bungee type hooks. I named her Lil' Red. Her and I bonded almost instantly. She followed me everywhere. Even met me at the car when I got home from shopping or anywhere. She was noisy when I was gone. My husband said she'd cackle like crazy if she heard me drive in the driveway and she was inside in her kennel.



I knew absolutely nothing about chickens. So I went to our local feed store and bought a bag of laying mash and crushed oyster shells (they told me that I needed it for her). Soon it became apparent that she loved being a house chicken! I had read that you can't really keep one alone as they like to be in a flock and they won't lay if they are alone. Well, our Lil' Red made us and our other animals at the time, 2 cats, 2 horses and especially our dog, Nikita her flock. She would go out with the horses and they were fine with her there picking up their scraps. Nikita and her though hung out together and she loved to be out there with Nikita when she was eating a bone, so she could pick up the bits that would drop from it. Nikita would growl at her, and it never phased her one bit.......she'd just scratch and peck her heart away.


Then we got different cats. One in particular, Callie, really liked Lil' Red alot and hung out with her. Though there was a period in Callie's life where she got real sick and almost died. I nursed her back to health and she is good still today. But while she was sick, she would not turn her back on Lil' Red and acted like she did not trust her. Once she was okay again, she was back to playing with her and rubbing on her beak.


I will finish this story later this week.



Hope everyone has a happy homesteading day!



katlupe

10 comments:

Kaelin said...

adorable! my little one would love this lifestyle!

katlupe said...

Now I am not sure if I ever finished her story. Just reading this today, brings tears to eyes. I loved this pet so much. When she died I was holding her in my arms. She knew I loved her. I just didn't know how to doctor her when she got sick. Thank you for commenting on this post!

Summer Ross said...

thats a great story. Its funny how animals get attached to people.

Lori said...

Loved that story, especially the bond your hen and cat developed. I'll have to go look for the rest of the story you wrote.

PJ said...

I loved your story! My sisters and I had a chicken each once when we were little. My parents got us "chicks" for Easter. You know the colored ones? Anyway, I was really little at the time and decided I wanted mine to have a bubble gum necklace and strangled it. My middle sister's got "cooked" cause my dad in his infinite wisdom made it a bed out of a baking pan and sat it on the radiator (it was still pretty cool) so he turned the radiator in our house on. The only one that made it out alive of the three was my oldest sister's Banny rooster. I hated that rooster. He used to get me down in the back yard and peck at me really bad when I would go out with momma to hang out clothes. I may have taunted him or something to make him mean. I don't remember. I just know he literally would get me down on the ground and peck at me. I guess I was may 2 or 3 years old. My sister loved him.

God Bless!
PJ

Marlene said...

What a sweet story! Amazing how attached we get to our animals and how much they adapt to our lifestyle, whatever it is.

Tough Cookie Mommy said...

I grew up around chickens on my Grandparents farm in Spain. They are actually smarter and more loving than most people think they are. I'm sure you two will enjoy each other's company.

I'm passing by from The Redheadedriter's stalking challenge.

www.toughcookiemommy.com

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I don't think I ever heard of a house chicken...but whatever works is great!!! Cute post!!!

The Hot Mess Princess said...

What an awesome story! I've always wanted to do stuff like this...nice to read about someone who knew nothing about it and just went for it! :-)

Carri said...

What a great story. I had a hen who wasn't happy unless she was tucked under my arm. I was sick when I found her at the bottom of the coop one day. :( The special ones never stay long enough.

http://mommyslittlemonsterblake.blogspot.com/