Monday, December 08, 2008

Homesteading Couples

Living the simple life isn't always simple. And sometimes it can be downright discouraging. But it helps if you have someone to share it with - and especially if they want it as badly as you do. In my own life, my husband, Larry, and I evolved to this lifestyle together. If one of you does not really like this lifestyle or was forced into it then that person will never really get into it. I doubt they will ever really like it as it is a hard life compared to what is considered "normal life."

There are many jobs on our small homestead to be done. No squabbling about my job or his job. If it has to be done and he's not here to do his usual job, I'll do it without a second thought or complaining to him about it later. Many times I do it as surprise for him. It works the other way too as he does my regular jobs often. We work together as a team and like it this way.

Of course it helps to have a strong relationship. And during the tough times, this is especially important. This is a way of life. It's probably not going to get any easier as the work will always be there. For the most part I really enjoy the work I do on our homestead.

I like the way he brags to people about how well I can start fire in a woodstove or how I can go out into the woods and bring in enough dead wood to keep a fire going until he gets home. The first winter we moved here we did not have any wood ahead and had to go out in the forest to gather wood just to get through. I went out there almost daily to drag in whatever I could find. I do my share of bragging about all the many things he has built or how he can charm a couple of runaway Thoroughbreds into following him home!

Nothing says "I love you" more than coming home after a day of the much dreaded errands in the closest city to find that he's got my bath water hot and ready for me to unwind in! Often, I have done the same for him. It's those little things that really count.

I have found that one of the things that I do when he gets angry for some reason, whether I agree or not, I don't say a word. Just let him rant and rave and go about my business until he is over it (a little tip I learned from my mother who was married to my father for 60 years.). Then we might laugh about it later. Many times if you say something at that moment it could lead to an arguement and hurt feelings.

So many couples I know, say they can't be together every day like we are or they wouldn't have anything to say to each other. Not us! We talk to each other constantly. Since we don't have a television or go away from our homestead very often we are together alot. We both have plenty of other activities that keeps us learning and our minds sharp. Plus we both are complete computer nuts!

Just because you spend the day getting firewood, fixing fences, digging in the dirt, cleaning the barn, baking bread and canning, etc, doesn't mean there's no time left for romance on the homestead. After a luxurious soak in the tub.......some scented body lotion........maybe something feminine to wear (you must still have something!) might let him know you're in the mood for romance. When you're setting the table for dinner with your good dishes........a nice tablecloth...... a couple of candlesticks.......add a bottle of that homemade wine you saving for for a special occasion (this is that special occasion!). Don't forget some romantic music! Now enjoy.....you deserve it!

No comments: