Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Canning Hopi Pale Grey Squash

Five Pints Of Hopi Pale Grey Squash

Two of three Hopi Pale Grey Squash I grew this year.


Cleaning out the seeds



Cut in 1" chunks, cover with water, boil two minutes



Put into hot sterilized canning jars, cap, 55 minutes in Pressure Canner



The finished product



Seeds for growing more Pale Grey Hopi Squash in the future!


In the garden



These must be cut into chunks and are not safe to puree or mash to can! Must be pressure canned!


Consult a canning book. I used Carla Emery's The Encyclopedia Of Country Living to can mine.


It may look like a lot of work for only five pints. I have many more butternut squash to can because they produced more. To me though, the Hopi Pale Grey squash will be special. For one thing, a member of Homesteading Today sent me the seeds free. Last year mine did not come up. This year they did, and I started them in the house, so I had special feelings for these particular plants. I have two pans of the seeds and look forward to many more Hopi Pale Grey Harvests in the future. These are very hard to come by and everyone that grows them loves them!

One more thing, you may add salt for flavor, I do not.




Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated July 2016

4 comments:

Lori said...

The squash looks so delicious. I'm a huge squash lover, my favorites are butternut, acorn, and spaghetti. How does the taste of this Hopi Pale Grey Squash compare to other squashes? I've never seen it in the grocery store either. It sure looks good though.

katlupe said...

The Hopi Pale Grey squash are known for being one of the best tasting squash you can grow. Another good thing about them is they are really good for storing fresh. When our remodeling project is done I will be storing some in the root cellar. They will usually last the whole winter and more.

Candy Duell said...

Oh this looks great, I have never heard of this kind of squash. May I ask why the squash has to be cubes, not mashed, or pureed?

katlupe said...

It has been determined in recent years not to be safe to can mashed or pureed pumpkin or squash. Pureed is more dense than the squash pieces and it takes more time to heat it sufficiently to penetrate the center of the jar. You can puree or mash it when you open the jar to use it