Friday, February 11, 2011

Vegetables For A Low Carb Garden

Some of our raised beds

Planning my garden this year has been a big project. I am being more careful about what plants I choose to grow. Nothing that we are trying for the first time. I have to make sure that each and every bed is planned for optional space. We eat some vegetables more than others. Some we eat more simply because that is what we've got. I am taking more care this year in planning. Being in frigid cold temperatures presently helps me realize the areas I am sadly lacking.


How they look presently!


One of the plants I am planning on growing is stevia. I have tried to plant it before but my seeds didn't even start. So I want to get plants and put them in my beds. That is what I try to use for all our sweetening. I have some in liquid form and some in the packets. But I have been wanting to see how I can incorporate it by processing the plants myself.


Thoughts of growing lots of food this coming year!

The squash family has been growing good in our garden. Even the pumpkin, and this year we got two hopi pale gray squash. This coming year, I am hoping to get a bigger harvest of those plants. Growing these foods has been a Godsend to us. More kale and more green beans. I won't be growing my own tomatoes until I am sure the Late Blight is out of my area. Two years in a row has made me shy of putting all that time and work into tomatoes again this year. I will purchase mine locally. 

Most of our vegetables will be the low carb varieties. I am trying to stick to that way of eating and no sense tempting myself with fresh corn from the garden. I will be starting these plants next month in the house. Then I can get a jump on the gardening season. I usually only start tomatoes and some winter squash varieties. But last year I did so well by starting my zucchini and yellow squash too, that I had vegetables much sooner than I usually do. So this year I am even starting some of the cucumbers and other plants. And what I don't grow, or what I can't get a decent crop of, I will be buying and canning those for our winter meals for next year. 






Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011  Kathleen G. Lupole

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this time of planning the garden when anything seems possible. I need to get around to placing a seed order soon. But I need to tweak my plans a little bit: want to make sure I have the best laid plans, both for garden layout and expense.

Happy planning!

Patti Hanan said...

Home grown food is the best there is. Food grown from the garden has love and work behind it. It tastes better than anything you can buy. I hope you have a wonderful garden this year:)

katlupe said...

Ada, I know what you mean! Planning the garden means that in my mind I have the best possible garden I can have. No blight. Lots of vegetables! No garden pests. Now to make it a reality.

katlupe said...

Thank you Patti! Last year our garden was our best one, not counting our very first one, which was unbelievable. I hope we can top them this year.

The Redhead Riter said...

What do you use to keep off all the bugs?

katlupe said...

LOL You would ask me that! I don't really have a big problem with bugs. Our garden is completely organic. So I don't use sprays or anything like that. Slugs are always my biggest problem. You can ward them off with a little swimming pool of beer. They go into it and can't get out and drown. Beetles, come every so often and I pick them off and drop them in a cup of kerosene.