Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Sounds Of The City

Downtown near my apartment!

The sounds of the city at night are different than what I was used to. Living in the forest for so many years, I got used to the sounds of the night, which were not always pleasant. Coyotes, owls, the occasional scream of an animal being grabbed by the owls. Then their familiar hoot hoot after they got it. You get used to those things. Hearing my horses crunching their hay or walking around trying to avoid being bitten by thousands of bugs, looking to feast on fresh horse flesh. I would be lying if I said I don't miss it at all. Yes, when I lay in bed at night, sometimes I miss the night sounds of the forest. Not of the animals killing other animals, but the general sounds of the night. 


Pretty quiet here most of the day!

Here in my apartment, living in the downtown area of a small city, it is not as loud as you might think. It is pretty quiet here for a city. The sirens from fire trucks, police cars and ambulances are not heard as often as most people associate with living in a city. I remember when my son lived in a city about 35 miles from me, and when I would talk to him on the phone, that is all I heard. Sirens. Constantly. I figured I would have to get used to it. The alternative was to stay put and that was not the option I wanted. So I figured I could play music all the time to drown the city sounds out. It has not been bad at all. On week-ends I hear people out and about as they come out of the restaurants and bars nearby. One of the bars plays live music, but to me it sounds good. I love listening to it!

Taxi cab in parking lot

Living in the country when you do not have a vehicle to drive makes it difficult. you live in a city. I have been fortunate to have a friend who will take me to the store or to my doctor's appointments. If I had to, there are other ways get around here. Public transportation is easy to use. The city transit bus comes right to the door of my building several times a day. I am planning on stepping out of my comfort zone one of these days, before winter comes and take that bus to Wal-Mart. There are also taxis and they have their phone number posted on almost every store window along the main street. And then of course, I can walk pretty good some days with my rolling walker. If I get tired I can sit on the seat of the walker.

Rabbit taking some hay out of his cage!

Life was harder in the country. Living here in an apartment has been a good change for me. I am much happier and not bored at all. I still do not have a television, nor do I want one. I am a computer person and enjoy reading and listening to music as well. I have been working to get all settled in and I am still not done with all that yet. I have another load of things to get from the house. I will get them all organized and then can get on with other things I had plans for. I am not giving up some projects I used to do. I am planning on getting my canning equipment and either I will use it or sell it. I am not keeping anything that I do not use. Maybe I will do a little bit of canning in small amounts. I'll see.






Copyright © 2018 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2018 Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: