Sunday, March 24, 2019

Storing Bananas Longer

Rabbit loves his banana treats!


It is no secret to anyone who reads my blog or is a friend of mine on Facebook or Twitter that I have a "house rabbit" for a pet. One of the favored treats of pet rabbits is bananas. Yes, they certainly love them! My little bunny boy is no exception. He wants it every morning. Now the house rabbit "rule people" will warn you about feeding bananas or any fruit too often. That is because it technically is a sweet for them and can rot their teeth. Well.......Rabbit does not comprehend that explanation very well. So I give him a little piece of banana in the mornings. 



Banana Bag

Since I eat low carbs, bananas are not something I eat much of. So buying bananas for Rabbit is not a food I can share with him. I started off by wrapping one in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator to store. One banana can last him 3-4 days and that is a long time for storing one. Most times, I ended up throwing it away. Sonny bought me a banana bag for me to try. I could not believe how great this thing works! No more wasting a banana.


Bananas don't last long!

I just put the whole bunch in the bag and make sure the vented side, the side with netting on it, is on top and the ties are pulled tight to close the bag. Then put it on the bottom shelf of my refrigerator. It slows down the ripening process for as much as two weeks. I am thinking of buying a second one for storing salad greens for Rabbit. They don't last very well in anything else even though I have tried everything. I watch YouTube videos on various methods and tried them all. But since using this Banana Bag for bananas, I have hope that the other one available for lettuce would work too. They say the banana bag works for apples, cucumbers, carrots and more. I need to try it.


Storing a black, cut banana for Rabbit!

I never knew that black bananas were still good. They are though. Another thing I didn't know was that I could cut a piece off from one and leave it in the skin and put it in the refrigerator and it would stay good. Now I am not wasting money by buying bananas that go bad fast. Most of the bananas in the stores are green anyway, so putting them in the banana bag makes them last even longer. 


Just fine for rabbit or human!

After reading the reviews on Amazon on the Banana Bag, I want to warn you to buy the one that is sold by Carol Wright. The others seem to have negative reviews as to being a cheaper knock off bag. Another thing some of the reviewers are mentioning, the ones who didn't like it, is that they say the bananas do not taste the same after being in the bag. Well, I never noticed any difference in the taste. The only reason I can think of that occurring is because they are staying firmer longer, even when the skin spots or turns brown. We like them just fine and I have not noticed them not tasting as good after being in the bag. I believe they get sweeter, as they get softer.


Vent side

I have not had to throw even one banana away after I started using the Banana Bag. For me that is a big savings. I hate to throw away any food. No fruit flies! Love the fact that there are no more fruit flies in my kitchen. From now on I will always use the Banana Bag for my bananas.


Now I can buy bigger bunches!

Storing the bananas in the refrigerator was something I had just started doing with one opened banana and I wrapped it in plastic wrap. But not long after that, I got the Banana Bag and it proved to be the best storage of bananas immediately. I could not believe how good it worked. I had never heard of one before so I was surprised. Give it a try and see what you think. I hope you like it too. 


In the refrigerator




 I am an affiliate of Amazon and others and will receive a small commission it you click any links to their site and make a purchase. It does not cost you any more money. It is the way I keep my site going. Read my Blogging Disclosure for more information.

Copyright © 2019 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2019  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: