Thursday, July 02, 2020

My Thoughts This Morning On My Way To The Store


TOPS' Parking Lot Entrance


I will admit that when I first got my mobility chair (which I call "Jazzy" throughout this blog) I was intimidated about driving it into the elevator let alone down the street. I would watch out my window when my neighbors would take off on their chairs and scooters with envy. Right up the ramp and out the driveway. I kept wondering how they could just get out there and take off bebopping along at a pretty fast speed. It took me awhile to master it. Once you do, it is such a feeling of freedom! Every time I check the weather in the morning it is with that thought in my mind. Can I take a ride with "Jazzy" or it going to rain? 





Today I needed to buy bacon for me and kale for Rabbit. So off I went! It was a beautiful day and lots of people were out. Some people had their masks on walking down the streets and many did not. I wear it in my apartment building's public areas. Once I am off the ramp, off comes the mask. It overheats me. Especially in the hot weather. I am not really near another person the whole way to the store. Before I go into the store I put my mask on. I have to remove my glasses to put it on or else it fogs up my glasses. Another thing I learned is once you have the mask on, keep your lips tight and breathe only through your nose. Then my glasses do not get fogged up. 





In our stores here in NY state we have to wear masks when shopping in our stores. Do I like it? No, not really. Do I think it is really useful? No, not really. I only do it because it is the law right now. One thing I do find useful about wearing the mask is that I can't smell perfume or cigarette smoke. My personal opinion is that I need to breathe to live. The mask blocks my air. Does my mask protect the other people? Only if I have the virus, which I don't. So I would change that rule to make people stay home if they have it. Wouldn't they anyway, because they are sick?





Everybody is always telling me to stay at home. Stay inside. Use an online shopping service for grocery shopping. I tell them they should stay at home if they want but I am not. I like to buy my own groceries at the store. I buy mostly produce, dairy and meat. I am kinda picky about that stuff. Not to mention that I am not going to pay extra for having it delivered if I can get it myself. The "experts" have told us for years that it is not good to isolate yourself when you are older. Luckily, I don't feel isolated living here. Some people who live alone need that day to get out. I buy online also but only the items I have a hard time finding. Not fresh foods. I am also an ingredient list reader and have to check every food I buy to make sure it doesn't have any bad stuff in it.



Fire Dept

The small city I live in, Norwich, NY, has a lot of history. The history has been preserved and I am glad it has been, I moved to this area, but not this city, in 1999 and I didn't know anything about it. As I learned more by research and going to various places to see the history for myself, I fell in love with it even more. Now I think what if that history had been destroyed or altered in some way? It reminds me when working on my family tree that sometimes a child brought up in a family with no legal adoption, could completely alter a whole family line. Sometimes they did that. A couple who had more mouths to feed than they could afford would give a child to their childless friends or relative. Forever altering an ancestor line. Nobody ever knows unless there is a written record of it somewhere. Destroying historical statues and buildings will never destroy the history. But people would have to research it in some way. 




Just my thoughts on my ride to and from the store today. 





Copyright © 2020 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2020  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2021




No comments: