Friday, August 14, 2020

Making Room For A Recliner In A Studio Apartment


Living Room Area


Rabbit and I  spend time together in the early morning when I am having my coffee. I sit here in my rocking chair and read, write or make lists. Rabbit likes this time as it is when he awake and alert. He runs, hops and does binkys when I get up, running circles around my rolling walker. I have to be very careful not to run him over. Rabbits sleep for a long time during the day, so I didn't want to waste this time with him. 


I stopped getting on my computer early and started spending the time with him. I am glad I did. It has been good for me too. Starts my day off positively instead of negative vibes from social media. I feel though, I need a comfortable chair to sit in. This one hurts my arms and back if I am in it for too long. I also have no place for visitors in my apartment unless we sit at the table with my computer. 


Flat screen can be reversed from bed to living area.

I decided to change this area with that in mind. My idea is to get a new recliner so I can put my feet up. Maybe I can watch videos on my flat screen monitor that is presently only available to me from my bed. Sometimes I do not want to lay down to watch and right now that means my only option is to watch on my laptop. I studied this area for days trying to figure out the best option and use of my small space. I watched a lot of YouTube home decorating videos about studio apartments. Most are larger than mine (338 square feet).



Moving the rugs with my helper.

Moving the rugs to the area that I call my living area pretty much defined that space. In a studio apartment, one of the most valued things is furniture that is used for storage. Such as my two large dressers, the cedar chest, the old trunk, the curio cabinet, etc. I have gone through my things and gotten rid of much of it, but there are still things I cannot or do not want to part with. Maybe I will do that in time. The ceder chest fit perfectly under the window that has the air conditioner in it. I could not have anything that would block that. 


Cleaning before moving the rugs.

The small trunk, which is nothing special, not a piece of furniture but it hides my clutter for now (I am working on it!). Along side my chair, it doubles as a stand with my lamp. I need the lamp close enough to the chair so I can turn it on or off without getting up. It also has Rabbit's carrier on the back of it. I need the carrier easy to get to in an emergency (if the fire alarm goes off and we have to leave the building). It might not look pretty but it has to be there.



"Jazzy" is usually stored in the bathroom.

 I still want to have clear space in the center of the room for my rolling walker and my mobility chair (Jazzy). For Rabbit too, as he likes to hop and run around there during the night. The best way to start with this project was to move stuff around. I have many limitations due to having a free roaming rabbit. I have to keep private places available for him to hide (if someone comes to the door and startles him) or to sleep (as I said before rabbits sleep for long periods during the day). He enjoyed the process of me moving the furniture around. He is as curious as a cat! 



A new recliner will be here soon!



Copyright © 2020 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2020  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2021


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is great !!!! So glad you are able to start enjoying a better way of life ,,, the detail in this blog leaves nothing left for the imagination .... Your writing is great and totally discriptive in every detail ,,, I LOVE YOU BABY !!!