Monday, August 09, 2021

Replacing My Old Computer


My Old Lenovo


I have been using computers since 1995 when the first Windows came out. I remember working in an accounting firm in St. Petersburg, FL when a guy came in to set it up on all the computers. What a day that was! Up until then I was used to using DOS at home or a program all ready set up on my computer at work. It was not online. Once they were up and running I was good to go. Setting up a new computer or operating system is a whole different story! It is not something I am experienced at. I had help back then. Now I live alone and have to learn to do some things for myself. To tell you the truth, I like doing it. Independence and freedom!


Legion By Lenovo box


It is not easy and I have had to learn so much just trying to set up this new computer. I have not used Windows for a number of years now and did not want to go back to it. Not only do I hate the idea of adding to gates' success, but I hated using the actual program. I could barely make it through the first day with my new laptop due to Microsoft garbage popping up on it constantly. It made me realize that not using it was and still is the right choice. 


What's Inside!


The computer I bought is another Lenovo. I have used Lenovo laptops for years now and am familiar with them. This one is called Legion by Lenovo 5. It is actually built for gaming and the graphics on it are great. It has a backlit keyboard which is another feature I like a lot. Especially for my eyes! I am not sure if the screen is bigger than the old ones but it feels like it is. Regardless, I love working on it now. I had been staying off my computer more in the last year or so. It was difficult to use and slow. This one is super fast!


Backlit Keyboard!


If you are using it out of the box with Windows there is not much you have to do other than connect it to the internet. For me, I wanted to replace the operating system with Ubuntu. I had never done something like that before since someone else did it for my old computer. In that one, Windows was partitioned off so it took up space in around half of it. I never used it once since Ubuntu was installed. So this time it was a no brainer for me to take Windows completely out. The only reason I can see for keeping it is if certain programs you use are only available through Windows. 


Fan and Legs Underneath!


It was still a scary thing to do since this is brand new and cost a bit of money. I had no one to ask. Nobody I know uses Ubuntu so I was on my own. I managed to find Linux Tv, which is a YouTube channel all about using Ubuntu. That was my starting point. I had it up on my television while I worked on it. I must have watched a couple of his videos about doing this a hundred times. Just over and over. My advice to anyone doing this themselves is to be patient and study the videos and go to Ubuntu's community, Ask Ubuntu. It is a learning process for sure. If I could do it I am sure most people could.


Power!


I finally got Ubuntu installed and was thrilled with myself! It was so nice to get rid of Windows and all that stuff they put in your computer so they can make money off us little people. I was able to access all my photos from my external hard drive which is where I keep them just in case anything happens to the computer. I have been doing that for years now. I have two. I am planning on buying another one for back up. I will be putting all my downloads on it as well. 


Ubuntu Is Up!


The one thing I am having trouble with is getting Libre Office installed. That is not an easy thing and I am having trouble finding a YouTube video about the installation. I am still afraid to access the computer through the terminal. I badly need office software because I write a lot and have text documents stored that I cannot open right now. I will learn though. I know it is hard to set up a new piece of equipment, be it a phone, a car or a new computer. But it has to be done. 




Copyright © 2021 Kathleen G. Lupole

All Photographs Copyright © 2021  Kathleen G. Lupole



 



No comments: