Saturday, April 02, 2022

Homemade Instant Pot Yogurt

 




I love yogurt! It has not been a part of the Ketogenic food plan but a recipe I found at 2krazyketos has changed that. Not only that, but the recipe is made in your Instant Pot! Perfect for me since I love making recipes in the Instant Pot. This recipe is easy to follow and has made yogurt a part of my daily food plan. My regular readers know how much I love making my own food instead of buying processed. I do the best I can. Finding recipes like this are a big help. Especially if they are good and easy! 




Using a milk that is lower in carbs than others is a must if you want your yogurt to have low carbs. I found this brand at Walmart which is the same brand used in the video for this recipe. It looks like Walmart always carries it. I used a whole quart of milk, a pint of heavy cream and a couple of tablespoons of organic yogurt that had the live cultures in it. 




Whisk it together to make sure it blends together. Put it all in your Instant Pot and you have a batch of yogurt in the making. The recipe at 2 Krazy Ketos has instructions for making this yogurt without the Instant Pot also. 





Put the top on and press the yogurt button. That was all I had to do. Then wait for 8-9 hours. Check it to see if it the thickness you like. I was making mine into Greek yogurt so I wanted it thick.




When it is was done to the thickness I wanted I poured it into a yogurt separator that I bought on Amazon. You can pour it into any kind of strainer you have. Or use nut milk bags or cheesecloth. You would need to tie it off to make a ball of yogurt and have a bowl or something to allow it to drip the whey in. I refrigerated mine though you can leave it on a counter and it would be safe. 





After four to five hours the whey had drained out of the yogurt and I took it out of the refrigerator. I scraped it out of the strainer. If you have one of these strainers, I recommend immediately putting it in the sink and using a sink sprayer to remove the yogurt on the screen. It made the job of cleaning it so much easier! 



Whey 


I measured the whey to be able to figure out the nutrition for this batch of yogurt. The directions to do that is on the recipe notes at 2 Krazy Ketos' website. The recipe is Keto Instant Pot Yogurt and it is helpful to watch their video as well. If you would like it to be low fat then check this one out, Low Fat Keto Yogurt.





As you can see in my photo, the yogurt came out really thick which is what I wanted. I use it in recipes or as a substitute for cream cheese or sour cream, as well as eating it as part of a meal. That comes in handy since the shortage of Philadelphia cream cheese this past year.




Using my electric beater I whipped it up for about two minutes to get it smooth. The video said if wanted it not as thick to add a small amount of the whey back into it. I did not do that since I wanted it thick.




I filled the small containers with a half cup to one cup of the finished Greek yogurt and put the tops on. Just be sure when you are going to make it again to save a couple tablespoons of this batch to make your next one. My total carb count on this batch was 1 carb. I did not figure out the cost of making the yogurt but I know it was a lot less than buying Greek yogurt already made. It was very good so be sure to try it!





Copyright © 2022 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2022  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: