Monday, September 19, 2022

Keto Friendly Food is Worth Every Penny You Spend


 

People are always saying to me, "how can you afford to follow the keto lifestyle with the prices of meat and dairy so high now?" I say back, "how can I NOT afford meat and dairy now?" Times like this call for making the most nutritious meals you can with what you buy. Look at the prices of those snack foods you buy. A family size bag of potato chips is as much as a two pound package of ground beef. How much nutrition is actually in that bag of chips? Since doing keto I no longer have the need to snack. Basically I eat two meals a day. Sometimes three. If I feel hungry I eat. If I am not hungry at supper time, I do not eat. Sometimes I will eat a Keto Chow ice cream that I make in my ice cream maker for a meal. Usually fills me up just fine. 




I used to buy a large package of ground beef and then divide it up into smaller packages. Then I would vacuum pack them for the freezer. Not lately. I have found the small one pound packages are the same price per pound as the larger ones at this time. So instead of wasting the vacuum pack bags I just buy the one pound packages and freeze them immediately. I like to make a pan of ground beef with various seasonings and dehydrated vegetables and then put a couple of fried or poached eggs on top. Mmmm! One of my favorite meals!


Bacon and Eggs


One thing I do splurge on and always will is bacon and eggs. Regardless of how much they drive the price up, I will buy them. Even if I have to go without other things that I normally buy. The best aspect of a keto lifestyle is that you can eat bacon and eggs as much as you want. It has always been the meal that satisfies me. If I have bacon and eggs for breakfast I am not hungry most of the day. If I ate cereal, oatmeal, waffles, pancakes, etc. I would be starving by lunch time. I see people asking for margarine or low-fat options and I think to myself, that is why you can't lose weight or stick to a diet. Low fat keeps you hungry for more money. I know this. I used to do it myself. Fat is what satisfies you and keeps you from eating more between meals. 


Fast Food

If you take "cheat days" or say you are dieting to lose so many pounds and go back to eating the standard American diet you will gain it all back and more. The reason you cheat on your low-fat diet is because your body wants and needs the fat you are not giving it. Fat does not make you fat! Sugar does! No, salt does not make you retain water either. Sugar and preservatives in your processed store bought foods does (go to Amazon and search for the Salt Fix book). 


Homemade Bone Broth


A good way to save money when following a keto lifestyle is to make as much of your own food as possible. Things like keto friendly condiments, broths and ingredients will be much more expensive than what you are used to use. Read the ingredients labels. Does it mention soybean or canola oil? Put it back on the shelf! I lived on store brand ranch dressings and Hellman's Mayonnaise for years. No wonder I could not lose weight or improve my health. Now I  buy Primal Kitchen condiments or make my own. Making my own is such a budget changer! Makes it so I can afford meat, eggs and dairy easily. I am doing that more now.




It is too bad that we have been taught from young ages the wrong information about our foods. Not only from the government who favors the food manufacturers so they can share in those profits. From the medical industry (yes, it is an industry) as well. I see it in so many of my friends who say they want to lose weight or deal with a particular health issue. Yet they continue doing what they have always done even though it has never improved their health. I never say a word to them now about it. It is their choice. 





Copyright © 2022 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2022  Kathleen G. Lupole



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent blog, Kat!

Marci said...

Good for you kat! It's MarciKS. I'm trying to eat a little better. I don't know if I could manage keto though. Hope you have a good thanksgiving.