Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Making Chicken Wings Using the Ceramic Crisping Tray

Copper Crisping Tray


Since I do not have an air fryer I use a Nuwave Pro Plus Infrared oven for most of my oven meals. In case you are not familiar with the Nuwave, it is a counter top cooking appliance that uses infrared, conduction and convection heat to save time and money. I have been using it for almost five years. As much as I love it, I was a bit jealous of all the air fryer meals I was seeing online. Especially the ones with the crisp coatings or for finger foods such as chicken wings or fried shrimp. I was afraid an air fryer would get too hot for my small kitchen and could possibly set off my fire alarm or cause a fire. Discovering the crisping tray was the best thing I could have done. I can make any type of low carb breaded foods which come out as if they were deep fried or cooked in an air fryer. 



Chicken Wings ready to cook!


I recently made chicken wings in the Nuwave using the crisping tray to get the skin brown and crisp. On these I did not put any kind of breading, just seasoning. I made sure to allow space between them so they get browned evenly. I used a parchment paper liner on the bottom of the tray but you do not have to do that. Actually it is not recommended. I started doing it so that cleaning the tray would be easier. One thing I also do with the chicken wings is to put them uncovered on a tray in the refrigerator for a few hours before cooking them. That way they are drier and hold the seasonings better. 


Nuwave Pro Plus Infrared Oven


Then I set the dome on top of the Nuwave Pro Plus  oven to cook. I think I set my cooking time to 20 minutes. Now according to the instructions for the crisping tray you do not have to turn the food over. I turn it anyway. Then I season the other side and cook it for about 12 more minutes. Check it to see if it is done and if it is browned enough for you. Depends on how you like them.


Time to turn!


The seasonings I used was Redmond Real Salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. This is not a set recipe for me. I do it different every time. Whatever type of seasoning you have a taste for. That is what I love about using different seasonings! This time I did not make Buffalo wing sauce but sometimes I do that too. Then put a bit on them and back in the oven for 2-3 minutes. Or you can just dip it on your wings when you put them on your plate.


The other side!

I used to like to order chicken wings from local restaurants. They have gotten to be so pricey lately that I don't buy them anymore. Also I cannot be sure of what they put on them or cook them in. Many restaurants use canola or other vegetable oils which is really bad for inflammation. I am trying to control mine and don't want to take the chance. So not only am I controlling what I eat but how much I spend. It is a double win!  


Chicken Wings with salsa and sour cream

Normally I would have served these wings with my homemade Buffalo wing sauce. Since I was out of blue cheese dressing I had them with salsa and sour cream instead. Was just as good. 



Copyright © 2023 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2023  Kathleen G. Lupole




1 comment:

Sandy said...

Never heard of nuwave...my stove is on its last legs... so, I will look into this. Happy spring to you! Alex