Monday, September 27, 2010

Life Is What You Make It!

Truck Trail leading out of the state forest.

Our Peaceful Forest Homestead is completely surrounded by the Ludlow State Forest. This is one of the most beautiful forests in our area of New York. In fact, that is why so many hikers take advantage of the Finger Lakes Trail which runs right through this forest and on both sides of our property. It is nothing new to hear voices of hikers as they make way along the trail. Our horses get excited by the sound of the voices hoping to catch a glimpse of the hikers, but sadly, they are not in sight of our homestead. I guess it is pretty isolated out here for our three mares.


Truck Trail turns into Enggaard Road.

Living out here has been good for me. It has taught me how to survive in conditions that I would have normally never encountered. My life before this move was pretty normal along with everyone else's type of lives. I remember our mothers especially, tried to discourage us in moving here and living this lifestyle. They were afraid we'd have a "hard life." Well, to tell the truth, I felt my life was always hard before this change. My life always seemed centered on things that were others' choices,  not my own. What about your choices? Are they really your choices? You count too, you know!

I have a close friend who has had the desire to live the homesteading lifestyle ever since I have known her. She has tried to achieve it over and over. She will move out into the country and stock her pasture with sheep and goats. She will add chickens and angora rabbits to her little homestead. She is a spinner and knits and crochets beautiful things. She will make delicious goats' milk cheese. Yet constantly puts herself down, saying that she is not a homesteader for some reason or other. She is hung on those little rules. There are NO rules. Just the limitations we put on our ourselves. Do you do that to yourself? Do you say you can't do something until (put whatever here)?

Enggaard Road becomes a seasonal road as it goes into the state forest.


If you put your life in God's hands he will help you. I believe strongly in the power of prayer. I use it daily. I even use the "praying without ceasing" method, where I just pray all day long about something. Even while I am working. So if you really desire something in your life you will suddenly find it there or the possiblity of it. I have seen that happen many times in my own life.

The saying, "life is what you make it," is so true. I met a couple from Virginia who have followed me since my first article in Countryside magazine, which was some years back. I think 2002. They came out here to meet us a couple of years ago and they became friends. We keep in touch. Well I have seem them purchase their own homestead recently. It is awesome to see this take place. To feel that in some small measure, I influenced them to take the steps to get what they both desired. They found a way to do it! Can you find the way to do what you really want to do too?

The hay field running along Enggaard Road. I love this field!

Whatever you want to do, you must start doing something toward that goal. Don't put it off. Start small and then little by little, do more. If it is something as simple as cutting your budget, losing weight, having a family, starting your own business or becoming a self-sufficient modern homesteader..........just make a list of how you can achieve it and get started down that road. Now....... is all you can count on in life!  Don't live in the past or the future. That past is gone, so don't dwell on what might have been. The future is coming, so is not here yet, and you don't know what that will bring. The present is here, you know you have today...........so make the best of it!




Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Your property is stunning ... I would love to live in the country surrounded by nature. I currently have a love/hate relationship with the city. It's great for my business and I love having my friends close-by but I can't stand the traffic jams, noise and pollution.
My sister moved up north about 10 years ago and they'd never move back to the city.

katlupe said...

I think once you live this way, it is very hard to go back the other way. Some days we have absolutely no vehicles drive by except for the mailer carrier.

Lori said...

Oh what absolutely beautiful scenery. I could get used to looking at nature like that every day. Here in Colorado so much has gotten built up since we moved here in 1995. Now what used to be nature is wall to wall housing. And the newer homes have tiny backyards.

I love what you posted about today, I too believe that life is what you make of it.

Jamie said...

Yes, this post is very inspiring. It's easy to let your choices be swayed by others.

Your photos remind me of where my sister in-law lives, up in rural New Hampshire- just beautiful!

laughwithusblog said...

Very thought provoking. I think I put myself down when it comes to housekeeping. The truth is I don't really care that much if I haven't cleaned or decorated. I care more about having a happy home!

Paula said...

Thanks for your kindness and care about my surgery! I am home, bed and PC-bound ;-)) Your post holds much truth. I can relate!Or better I used to be able to relate. By now its different: follow your dreams, they know the way!
I wuld love to visit you when the time is right! If this isnt to daring to ask!

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron

Holly said...

I always love looking at your pictures and imagining being in a place so beautiful! ;D

Shawn said...

So Beautiful! Your pictures are breath taking!

The Redhead Riter said...

The road is awesome in the photos. Truly beautiful country.

I loved your post. I'm going to send the link to my mother so that she can hear someone else tell her the same things I keep telling her. You are so right with all the points that you made especially with do it now and believe in yourself. Mom has low self-esteem and it has been my lifelong goal to help her see she is so talented, accomplished and can do anything!

Larry G. said...

Yes, we have been following you for a long time and continue to read your blog every week. Thanks to you and Larry for being such good examples and providing great inspiration to so many. Thank you for welcoming us into your home, showing us around your homestead, and answering our many questions. We will continue to learn from you (and ask more questions!) as we work on our off-grid homestead in the mountains of southwest Virginia. God Bless.

Larry & Jackie

katlupe said...

What a pleasant surprise this morning! To see your comment and read it to my Larry! Maybe some day we can visit you in Virginia, and I can write a blog post about your homestead. You will be an inspiration to others. Blessings to you both.

Miss Vera said...

Your photos are beautiful! One of the things on our "Bucket List" is to travel through the New England states in the fall.

Thank you for those inspiring thoughts! Since reading your post and looking at your pictures I am beginning to realize that I would LOVE to live somewhere off of the beaten path. I think I will take your advice and start praying about it.

Thanks for you comment on my blog.

Vera