Saturday, June 04, 2011

Smells And Sounds In The Garden

Cherry blossoms

I am trying to get my garden all planted so our food starts growing. It is not that difficult to work outside in the garden. All I hear is the birds singing. They are loud too. The robins even follow us around, hoping to catch a worm where we have just dug.

Robin hopping along, Hobo off to the right.

Another pleasant thing about being outside in the garden is the smell of all the flowers. It smells like perfume! Especially now that the blackberry bushes have blossomed. What a smell! They really should bottle it. The apple blossoms were awesome too, but now they are all gone. Soon the elderberry bushes will be in blossoms too. Oh I do love this time of year so!

Berries forming from the blossom!

My strawberries are coming in good too. I like watching the berry form on the plant. Every day making a little more change. Till the day I go out and find red strawberries or unless.........the birds have gotten to them before me! Oh dear! It is always a struggle with them over the berries and grapes. Elderberries, they always try to get before I think they are ripe. Last year they did. There are so many through out the state forest here, that I shoo them away from mine. Not too harshly though, as I would never chase the birds away from Peaceful Forest for good.

 Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole

3 comments:

~Deb~ said...

hahaha ... I had to post a comment today, I thought the robins only followed me around... I guess they have learned to follow us all around as we dig in our gardens
I love being out in the garden it is so nice, birds singing, the smell of the newly turned over soil and the plants..mmmmmm

Unknown said...

Sounds beautiful! We seem to be heading in to summer here, after a very short spring.

Teri said...

Your garden sounds heavenly. I used to have a garden when I was growing up, but here in the desert, you can't really grow alot. I sure miss it. Thanks for bringing up great memories of growing corn, watermelon, pumpkins, peppers, so many things! Great Post!