Wednesday, September 04, 2024

My New Lodge Cast Iron Skillet

Cooking over a fire with 2 cast iron skillets

I moved from my homestead six years ago. When I came here I brought my collection of cast iron cookware. They became too heavy for me to handle. So I ended up selling them. Over those six years I tried many different types of pots, pans and skillets. I missed my cast iron skillet most of all. In the mean time my strength has increased or is back to normal again. Probably due to keto. So I purchased a new Lodge cast iron skillet. The hard part for me is seasoning it on top of an induction cook top instead of in an oven. I did it though and am using it now. I need to keep working on the seasoning process. It has to be really seasoned well before I will attempt to fry an egg in it. When that day comes I will let you know. Lodge now sells them pre-seasoned but I am not sure how seasoned that is. As I use it the seasoning process is constantly taking place.


A few of the pieces of cast iron cookware I brought with me

Over the years, I perfected my ability to cook with cast iron and I loved it. I was sad that I felt like I had to sell them. One of the mistakes I made when moving here was getting rid of everything that reminded me of my past life. There are things you can do living in an apartment in a city. Sometimes we are given no choice but due to financial or health reasons have to leave our homesteading life behind. Cooking with cast iron was one of those things. So was my canning jars. I now use the jars constantly in my kitchen. I bought plastic lids for them and some that had spouts. Glass keeps things colder than plastic. I learned that during my time of living without a refrigerator. Canning was not really an option for me. I don't need to do that much work and have little space to store jars of canned food. Also I do not eat fruits or vegetables anymore so would only be canning meat. Canning meat could be an option but not for me. I don't want to do that much work now. The jars are great for cold beverages, leftovers and pantry items. 


Bone broth in canning jars with plastic tops for the refrigerator

It is a good thing I know how to cook and like doing it. I enjoy creating new recipes with the foods I eat so they don't get boring. I have a number of keto/carnivore cookbooks now and study them for ideas. I do not like recipes that are time consuming or use a lot of ingredients. Simple is what I like. If a recipe I like is not easy enough I like to make it that way by experimenting and testing it. Always write down the way you make it or you will forget the next time! I know, I have done that myself. I do not like to make recipes that include almond flour or coconut flour so will try to change that about the recipe. Many times I use pork rind crumbs and that adds taste to it as well. 


My new Lodge cast iron skillet!

I watched a number of videos on YouTube on cooking with cast iron skillets or how to season them. I was not impressed by what I saw. Modern people nowadays seem to wash them with soap and water. I will not do that. I wipe the grease out and remove all food that is stuck on it (if that happened). Then I put some water in it and heat it on the stove to boiling. Then I make sure it is smooth and clean before wiping it out. I used to use bacon grease for seasoning but I have been using organic beef tallow now. Wipe a thin layer on the skillet including the sides and top rim. Heat on the stove. Now this is where I used to always use hot temperatures. Now I do not. I don't want to cause my smoke alarm to go off in my apartment. After that has become hot I apply a bit more of the tallow (or whatever you use.......but please don't use vegetable oils or shortening.......so bad for you!) and wait for it to settle into the surface. Now it is done until next time.


Frying eggs in a well seasoned skillet on an induction stove top

After doing that over and over many times for a period of a few months your cast iron skillet should be seasoned enough to fry your egg. That is my true test of a good seasoning. I do not have a regular oven but if I did, I would put it in the oven to season. At the highest temperature for at least 30 minutes. I used to season my collection of cookware in my wood cook stove for a couple of hours. You have to work with what you have and here I have to season it on an induction cook top. It will work. It helps too that Lodge preseasons them already. The only problem with that is I don't know what they preseason it with! What kind of oil did they use? I suspect it is vegetable oil. My reasoning for doing my own seasoning.  






Copyright © 2024 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2024  Kathleen G. Lupole



No comments: