Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Grocery Delivery Made My Life Easier



One of the things I have done to make my life easier is using grocery delivery from Walmart and Instacart. I do not own a car. It was my choice not to have one when I moved here six years ago. It was an adjustment on my part because I have been driving since I was fourteen. They are just too expensive to own if you live on a tight budget with a low income. The first few years my boyfriend drove me anywhere I needed to go. About the last four years our relationship changed and I don't see him as often. I hated to ask him to drive here, about 25 miles one way. With the price of gas I felt like I was a burden to him. I did not want to feel like that again to anyone. When grocery delivery became a popular option I subscribed to Instacart as soon as I could.





I learned how to shop with grocery delivery using Instacart first. My Chase credit card offered me a free trial for it. So I was able to start using it. I knew after the second delivery that I would subscribe to it. I think it was around $99. a year plus tax. At that time Walmart grocery delivery was not available in my area. So I mainly shopped at Price Chopper, Aldi and Tops (at that time, now it has been replaced with Grand Union). All three stores are very close to my home in downtown Norwich, NY. As soon as I knew Walmart delivery was available to me though I signed up for it. 



Sign up for Instacart using your phone or computer. Make an account using your email address, your Facebook or Google account. Or download the app on your phone. If you are a senior citizen Instacart has a specialized support line for you and they will help you learn how to use their service to shop with. The number is 1- (844) - 981-3433. Once your account is set up choose the store within your delivery area and start shopping. Then pick your products and be sure to put the amount of each item you want in your shopping cart. It will ask if you want to have a different item substituted if the one you order is not available. Schedule your delivery for the time you want your order delivered. It can be as fast as an hour or later in the day. Whichever suits you. Be sure to give clear directions to your door. When I first started I had one delivery taken back to the store because the driver said I was not home. Yet they never came to my home! I was waiting outside! I got my money back on the groceries but not the tip. So be careful on that. You can pay with your debit, credit or ebt card. If you are paying with an ebt card the tip will come from your debit or credit card. 




My favorite store to shop at has always been Walmart. So I signed up for their grocery delivery service happily. They are not as quick as Instacart. For a faster delivery you have to pay $5-$10. I don't ever do that option. I will order early enough that I can schedule it about the time I want it. When they send me a message, email or text that it is on the way I go downstairs to the front door of my apartment building to wait for it. It usually comes pretty fast once they say it is on the way. I always choose the delivery option that says "sign for the order" instead of the "leave at the door" option. My first order had a driver leave it outside the doors to my building where anyone could have walked off with my groceries. 




Both sites will show you the items you have purchased in the past. That is quicker if you buy the same items over and over. I have heard some people complain about substitutions when they are out of something. Never had a problem with that. I try to do a substitution for each item and when you reorder the same products over and over the substitution stays with it. Some items you can say no substitutions and they will refund that money back to you. 




The main reason I choose to shop this way is that it is easier for me. Yes, I like to grocery shop and pick out my own foods. Sometimes though it is tough to do. I do not use a scooter in the store. I can't reach anything on the shelves when I am on one of those. I normally use my walker so I can sit down every now and then because my knees and legs are sometimes very painful. When placing my orders I try to keep it under a certain amount so when it is delivered it will all fit on the seat of my walker. If you are paying with an ebt card it will take you to the screen to sign in with your number. Shopping like this usually means I stick to my list and don't add any extras which saves me money. Try it and see what you think! 





Copyright © 2024 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2024  Kathleen G. Lupole




 

No comments: