Wednesday, September 25, 2024

My Nuwave Pro Plus Counter Top Oven

 

Nuwave Oven


When I moved here in 2018 I could not adjust to cooking with the electric stove. I could not tolerate that electric smell when I would turn it on. Years ago I had cooked with electric stoves and ovens and I liked them. Maybe the years of living at Peaceful Forest homestead using a gas and a wood cook stove had changed my opinion of them. The smell and the smoke that comes off the burners was too much for me. Fortunately I was gifted by a friend, a used Nuwave Pro Plus counter top oven. It uses conduction, convection and infrared cooking technology. Using 75% less energy and cooks 70% faster than other ovens. 


Comes apart easily


Putting the oven together and cooking with it was pretty easy. The power head is what runs the whole system with digital controls. The next part is the transparent dome. Nice to see what you are cooking at all times! The cooking racks are of two different sizes depending on how close you want it to the power head. It has a non-stick liner pan that catches the grease from the food as it cooks. Unless you are using a pan to cook in instead of the rack. The base is what holds everything together. The dome fits right into it so all your heat stays inside the oven. 


Steak is cooking!


I can take a frozen piece of meat out of the freeze and put it directly in the Nuwave to cook. No defrosting or preheating necessary. I can cook a variety of foods together at the same time. Any baking pans that can be used in a conventional oven can be used in this oven too. If using aluminum foil it will slow down the cooking time. People have asked me why I like it so much. I think because it is easy for me to use and clean. You do not have to wash the whole oven every time you use it. Especially if you are cooking in a pan and not just on the rack. It takes up a large space on my counter but it is worth it. 


The Power Head  I bought on eBay


Recently the power head stopped working. I had worn it out. For awhile I could play with it to get it to work. Eventually it quit for good. I ordered a brand new one from Amazon. I was quite excited to be getting a new one! As soon as I cleaned it and got it set up I turned it on...........the smell! I could not tolerate it at all! I suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (or otherwise known as MCS) and there was no way I could use it. I sent it back and got a full refund. What was I going to use for my oven now? My toaster oven? No, that would not do for cooking meats even though I have cooked chicken and hamburgers in it before.


Back to work!


Well, I used to be a power seller on eBay and I know if I am looking for a part or a retro product that is the place to go. I still shop there even if I am not selling there anymore. I soon found every single part on my Nuwave for sale on eBay. I ordered a used power head after messaging the seller about whether it had that electrical smell or not. I know that smell goes away after awhile but I can't tolerate it for any length of time. He said no and he knew exactly what I was talking about. So I bought it for $23. with free shipping. It worked perfectly! No smell! No problems and it looks new. Probably was not used that much. 


The Crisping Tray


I was back to cooking with my original Nuwave with the "new to me" power head. I appreciate it even more now since I had to experience a few weeks without it. I have a crisping basket that I use for breaded items to make them crispy. Foods can have that deep fried coating taste and are not greasy. I like how versatile it is and I can cook using different methods. It will bake cookies, desserts, breads, rolls as well as casseroles and other things. I can roast a whole turkey or any other meat in it as well. What do I use the stove for now? I store all my pots and pans in it. Makes a nice cupboard! 




Copyright © 2024 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2024  Kathleen G. Lupole

 





No comments: