Sunday, August 08, 2010

Pitcher Water Pumps

Our pitcher pump - most important tool on a homestead!

I don't usually do two posts on my blog in one day. Then I remembered after I posted the earlier one that I forgot to tell my readers about our water pump breaking Friday evening. My husband went out to give the horses water and it broke. He usually can just reposition the thing in the pump but it was stripped and would not tighten. So that means we have to replace it. But that evening.........our horses were watching him to bring them their water...........I had no water in the house because I was washing dishes and had not replaced it yet. It was hot, and we were thirsty!

Luckily, we have another pump.........now I am talking about pitcher pumps here. The kind people use for decoration? We use them for getting our water out of our hand dug well. If you use one, you should always keep a back up one and maybe some back up parts. The other thing you should do is keep a supply of water stored in bottles regardless of what kind of pump you use. I mean many bottles of water. I usually fill the green soda bottles and keep them in the root cellar. But at the moment, I did not have any because of the remodeling job we are doing and no where to store them.

A different kind of pitcher pump

This is the other pitcher pump we have. It was stored in our shed but we hadn't used it in a couple of years. You can hook a hose to it. That was why we bought it to begin with. To be able to pump water upstairs to a tank we were planning to put there for a gravity fed water system. Now things have changed and we aren't going to do that system that way. But we still have the pump and are using right now. It is much slower than the other one and harder to pump. We will replace the other one as soon as possible as this one is not easy to prime and is unusable in freezing weather. It is good for in the house or in a building. For now though.......it does the job!







Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole

8 comments:

Sunny said...

Right out of high school I worked for the local health department so I know what our definition of a pitcher pump was. It is the kind that after you hand pump the water it comes out into a short spout that is open at the top. We discouraged this type because it can become contaminated. We recommended the hand pump that had a curved spout instead. Which type is yours?

Sandy said...

Hi Katlupe...I wanted to come by and say hi and thank you for your visit to my blog... your being 'green' is wonderful and I love your 'water pump'... I live with 'city water' and had to buy a complete water system cleaner and have it installed on my house.. the water is really bad and we don't have the pleasure of digging our own well! Good for you!
I need to read more of your very interesting blog... thanks for following!
Sandy
thewondersofdoidng@blogspot.com

katlupe said...

Sunny, our pump has the short spout. That is the one I need to replace. The one we are using until we get the new one, as you can see in the photo, has a faucet on it. Trouble with it is that it is hard to pump, and we can't use it in the winter.

katlupe said...

Thank you Sandy for visiting my blog and commenting!

Anonymous said...

Hello Katlupe,
It's wonderful how you and your husband are living the self- sufficient lifestyle along with modern technology. I hope you & your husband get your new water pump soon. Thanks, for stopping by my blog. I will continue to visit with you.

Best wishes
-mrsentrepreneur

Melissa Au said...

Following you back from
http://momsreview4you.blogspot.com/

Thanks!!

Mary Bennett said...

I'm sorry about your pump. Our pump died one New Years Eve, and we had NO backup. It was awful

katlupe said...

Thank you for the comments and visiting my blog!