Monday, September 26, 2011

The Forest Homestead In Autumn



Fall is coming quickly here. Our days are shorter. The trees are changing colors. Their leaves are dropping. Our garden plants are fading. We are keeping our windows closed during the night. And of course, our usual fall visitors that come into the house to find a spot to hibernate........the conifer bugs, or also called the "stink bug" are making their way slowly right now.


The leaves change color when the temperatures get lower. When the days get shorter. They change slowly at first, then it will accelerate. Soon all the trees will have the beautiful color that everyone looks forward to seeing. They will even have a fall smell to them as you walk through the forest and yard. It will be a strong smell here as we are completely surrounded.



In our area, of upstate NY, we almost always get a lot of rain in the fall. With that, usually comes wind too. The combination takes most of the leaves off the trees. I will be sad to see the trees bare again, but that is the season process.



We are busy doing our fall chores. These are the chores to help us get through the winter easier. Every year we find there are things we should have done, so if we remember back that far, we try to do it for the up coming winter. I want it to be very organized this winter so there won't be much stress. So far I am accomplishing much in this area.



I am still canning foods, but in truth, I never stop. During the winter I will be canning meat, cheese and butter. Now, in the fall is the time for canning tomatoes, fruits, especially apples, which are abundant in our area now. Also winter squashes, pumpkins, beets, cabbage and any root vegetables that grab my eye. If I didn't grow it, I will buy it locally. What about you? Are you still canning or about done with your food supply for the winter? I hope you got a lot of food and supplies put away for the winter this year. I know I did!




Copyright © 2011 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2011  Kathleen G. Lupole

6 comments:

The Zany Housewife said...

I LOVE your pictures Kat!! We were blessed with a brief windy and overcast day, but since then, it's been hot hot HOT. I cannot wait for the leaves to change color and for Autumn to officially begin. You are so blessed to live back East with those amazing trees. And you're surrounded! Double jealous!

You know, despite all my best intentions, I never got around to canning this Summer. I have experimented a bit with freezing food but I just haven't had the time or guts to can. I keep reading up on it, but for whatever reason, it makes me nervous. I just see me exploding a can of tomato sauce all over the kitchen.

So far, I've had success freezing my bread, whole tomatoes, bananas, bell peppers, my homemade plum butter and other misc things. It's helped me a lot with meal preparation.

p.s. I've missed talking with you!

p.p.s. Happy belated bd to your hubby.

p.p.p.s. Every time I read Carla Emery's book I think of you. You are such an inspiration.

p.p.p.p.s. That is all. :)

Felecia Cofield said...

We're still having some pretty warm and humid days here in Alabama. My new hens just started laying and I'm real excited about all the eggs! I picked some jalepenos and green peppers today to make some relish with, hopefully tomorrow. Turnip greens are starting to come in; however, I didn't plant any because my husband and son do not eat them. I've canned a lot of tomatoes and jellies this summer and hope to get some apples soon.

Pam said...

The only thing I can is jam. I make marmalade in the winter, and berry jam in the early summer. In our mild climate, we are able to grow vegetables all year long. It's almost time to plant cool weather crops. I just stuck a few zucchini seeds in the ground, I'm taking a chance - it may be warm enough for the next 6 wks to sneak in another crop. I'm contemplating building a cold frame soon. I love to garden.

Lori said...

Such a pretty time of year with all the leaves changing color. I didn't do any canning, but I did do a lot of cooking and freezing. LOL Hope you're having a wonderful day!

Unknown said...

Lovely fall pictures! I think I'm about done canning for the year. I'm always impressed by how much you "put up!"

katlupe said...

Thank you for all the comments!

I think I can so much, Ada, because I HAVE to! Without a refrigerator that is the only way I can preserve our food. Now though, I am more experienced at it, I will probably always do it.