Thursday, October 29, 2020

Fresh Produce is Important to My Meals

 

Recently Bought Local Produce

Living without a garden has been hard for me. Though to be honest, my garden at my house had not been a good producer beyond squash, green beans, cherry tomatoes and salad greens for a few years. The soil had become impacted from weeds that came from using horse manure. Possibly it was in their hay. It frustrated me because I physically could not get rid of them. Their roots were deep. Even the grass on the lawn had stopped being healthy and it was difficult to get any decent grass for my pet bunny boy, Rabbit. What I miss the most, is the time spent out there with the birds singing and the cats playing nearby.


Local Produce Stand

If you are a senior citizen in New York state, not sure if other states have this program or not. But if you are in New York, contact your Office for the Aging for the Senior Farmer's Market Nutrition Program. It is on a first come basis so if they still have coupons this late in the year, you can still use them until the end of November. It is for low income seniors. These coupons can only be used at your local farmer's markets or stands. Not all will be in the program so be sure to ask first. When I called my local office they told me that they stop giving them out at the end of September. I will remember that for next year!


One of the best cantaloupes I have ever eaten!

There are programs online to order fresh produce. Some of the reviews I have seen on them makes me not want to try them. I am very picky when it comes to choosing produce in the grocery store. Since I am cooking for one now, I try to find smaller vegetables. I like to cook with fresh produce more than frozen or canned. I will use that in a pinch but the prepping of fresh vegetables is worth the work. Glenda Sully's YouTube channel has several reviews of the Misfits produce box. Her daughter, Jill does the reviews and I like to watch it. For me though, it better to buy my produce at the grocery store.


Locally Grown!

Lucky for me, the grocery store closest to me, Tops, is one I can get to on my own. Their produce is good, but you have to check it over. I figure if I want to snack on something, it should be fresh fruits or vegetables. Something I like is blueberries or strawberries in sour cream. It is something I used to order in a Jewish restaurant back in the 80's. Another quick snack is cucumbers or broccoli with a homemade dip. There are a million varieties you can come up with. It is definitely not the same as picking it from your own garden. Now I buy what is available and enjoy preparing it for myself since I like to cook.



Copyright © 2020 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2020  Kathleen G. Lupole









2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice write ,,, great job

Kathleen Lupole said...

Thank you for taking the time to read it!