Thursday, October 21, 2021

Stocking Up and Using Dehydrated Foods


 









One thing I have found as a person cooking for only myself is that I have trouble using up all the fresh produce I buy. I buy it with good intentions but buy too much. The reason I do that is because I might not get to a store soon enough to restock. I can go to the store near me with my mobility chair but sometimes due to the weather I cannot. I am trying to remember when I make out my grocery list not to put too much fresh produce on it. Something happens to me when I am shopping and I buy too much. That is if I buy items that are not on my list. Sticking to the list is the main thing to do.




I really hate any type of waste and especially food waste. I lived too many years not having enough money for groceries to ever want to be like that again. As an ex-homesteader and prepper I know how important it is to have a food supply. That applies to everyone regardless of age, where you live (city or country), rich or poor. Whoever you are your food is a necessity. As is water also. I mentioned before that I can have a freezer here if I wanted one. I don't really have room for one since I do not want to get rid of any other furniture. Only so much room in this small studio apartment.




I used to buy from an emergency preparedness company and one of the things I still have and use is the dehydrated vegetables and fruits. Lately the company I used to buy from is always out of stock. So I looked at Amazon to see what they had. Well, they have a lot of various products. No surprise there! Not all are in the large cans but that is okay with me. I bought some dehydrated bell peppers. Red and green peppers both, which is the kind I like. I also bought dehydrated onions, soup vegetables, celery stalks and strawberries. I will still have to buy some fresh produce for salads or eating fresh. Onions is something I buy a lot of but also end up throwing some out. So I will still buy one or two when I go grocery shopping but for cooking I will be using the dehydrated ones. That also saves me from the work of chopping them for cooking. You just put a handful or two in what you are cooking and it will be good. 




The dehydrated vegetables have a lot of flavor. I remember the green beans and corn tasting like it was freshly picked. The advantage of using dehydrated foods for a person living alone is that the food is so easy to use in whatever you are cooking. Cooking can be a chore when you are having physical disabilities. For me, standing at the sink, counter or stove is difficult. I need to take a break after a few minutes of standing in one spot. The dehydrated vegetables taste good and take up very little space compared to frozen or canned. 


Carrot Dices

I add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the dehydrated vegetable to whatever I am cooking. Depending on how much flavor you want from it. The onions are pretty strong so you should experiment with it adding less when first using it. You can soak them in warm water for about 10 minutes if you would rather put a soft product in. I never do that. They come out great for me since most of the time I use the Instant Pot for cooking. None of the products mentioned here are anything I have an affiliation with. I no longer do that. I buy from Amazon or Walmart online due to the convenience. 





Copyright © 2021 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2021  Kathleen G. Lupole




No comments: