Thursday, August 25, 2022

Computer Know How Using Ubuntu 22.04



I was never really technologically talented. All the years before moving here in 2018, my husband took care of all that for me. It was a learning experience for me when I bought a new computer last year. There was no way I was keeping Microsoft on it! I had been using Ubuntu for over six years already and did not want to change back. Just firing it up for the first time the Microsoft spider web tried to steal it from me. I quickly learned how to install Ubuntu and removed the nasty Windows from this computer for good. There are still traces of it in some areas since they just cannot believe you would be happy without it. I am though.




Even though I was using it every day there were some programs in the old computer that I could not access in the new one. I would work on it for hours and then give up. One big thing that I could not use was Libre Office. Not being able to get it installed was heartbreaking for me. Everything I have written for years was in that program and if I could not use it on my new computer that meant I would never be able to see those documents again. Including my eBooks! Everything I read said that Libre Office was included in Ubuntu when you install it in your computer. It was not the case for me. 


My helper

I started working on all this yesterday because I could not use my printer anymore. Just one day my computer could not print from it nor even find it. I worked for about four months on trying to figure out what to do. It made no sense to me because I had used it on this computer many times. Yesterday, since fakebook banned me from their stupid site, I spent time on figuring out what was wrong with my printer. I searched on Ubuntu's and Brother's sites and found my problem. I didn't even need to download a driver which is what I thought I had to do. I removed all the printers showing up and added the printer I have (which was the same one as one of those I removed.........). Worked immediately!




That encouraged me so much that I searched how to install Libre Office in Ubuntu. Followed the directions I found there and in a minute there it was! If I could dance around the room, I would have. I found all my old documents that I could access. Now I will go into my old external hard drive and transfer more of them into the newer external hard drive I am using now. The newest version of Ubuntu I am using is 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish and I am quite happy with it. I don't normally like to upgrade to anything due to it changing things in my computer. So far I am okay with it as long as I can use my printer and Libre Office.




Since yesterday was such a good day, I decided to solve another problem I had today. The graphic program I use is called GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). I kept getting the dreaded "Permission Denied" message. No matter what I did I could not open the photos in the external hard drive in it to edit. I had to copy them to the picture file on the computer's hard drive. Edit and then transfer them back to the external hard drive. It wasn't that hard to do but I resented having to do that extra step. Especially for something that used to be easy on my old computer. This morning I went to GIMP's site and found that it was a very easy fix. I learned how to allow the permission and it worked instantly! Happy dance here! 




Copyright © 2022 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2022  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: