Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Living With Health Conditions

 



It would be easy for me to say that I cannot walk anymore. Just stop doing it. I don't have a disease that causes it like some people do. Though maybe Osteoarthritis is actually a disease. I consider it a condition. Lymphedema is a disease but does not actually stop me from doing things. As long as I wear the compression stockings I can walk with it. Even if my feet and calves are swelled and/or tight. If you knew me in person, you would not think I was the strongest person. Not by a long shot! My strength is the kind that is inside. Inside my brain and mind. I refuse to quit. It has been quite hard for me to accept having an aide help me with cleaning my apartment. I could see it if I had a huge house but this is a small studio apartment. Yet there are some jobs I find difficult to do. They will take me hours to complete! I have accepted having an aide and I will give her more to do as I see her ability to do what I want done.




In recent years, I have realized I do not like to go anywhere. Not social activities or events. There are many local events that go on within walking distance of my apartment. I don't go to many of them and if I do, I am in and out rather quickly. I do not like to be around cigarette smoke and it seems to be everywhere these days. Even when there is a no smoking sign I will see someone smoking right next to the sign. Either they can't read or they don't care. They act like it does not apply to them. Most smokers have no respect for others or the environment, polluting the air and littering by throwing their cigarette butts on the ground or out car windows. (I apologize to the smokers who do not do those things but the others know who they are.) So I suppose even if others do not like the smoke they will tolerate it to go to something. Well, that is not me. Breathing is important to me.




I research. That is what I do. I was one of those kids who would read a whole encyclopedia just for fun. It is one of the reasons I love the internet. So I have learned over the years since moving here how to manage the problems I have with my health. My knees are not going to get better but I can live with them. Sometimes they are not as bad as other times. Inflammation is the key and controlling it with your diet works. But.........you have to stick to it 100% and I am doing that now. Another thing I have learned is to not baby them. I walk with a walker and I am able to walk every morning in the hall outside my door. So no matter what the weather is I can do it.   




If you have a health condition, even being controlled by a doctor, it is good to do your own research and learn what you can about your condition. Ask questions and record or write down the answers. Then research it again. I never rely on anyone else and many times I tell the doctor what I want done and they usually do it. However long I am slated to live on this earth I will try to do the best I can. Many times the tests and treatments are worse than the disease or condition. It helps if you have a doctor you can totally trust but these days they are hard to find. Most are controlled by the insurance and drug companies. If they don't do what they say they won't get paid. Oh to go back to the days when the patient paid the doctors out of their own pockets and the prices weren't out of sight. That was a true doctor patient relationship!


Ribeye for supper!


What nobody tells you is that food is medicine. It matters what you put in your mouth. Look at how many people buy special foods for their pets.......spending more for better quality food. Then go to the grocery store and fill their own grocery carts with high carbs, grains, sugar, fruit and highly processed foods. Foods that hinder you instead of helping you. Of course, it does not heal you overnight but you need time to overcome whatever is wrong inside your body. Many people would rather take a prescription cocktail every day rather than give up their favorite foods. Your choice. I am not trying to influencing anyone. Just saying what has worked for me. 


LMNT Electrolyte Drink


I am trying to increase my mobility and decrease the fluid under my skin (Lymphedema). You need to figure out what you can do that helps your own health issues.Things that work for me is:

1. Keto Lifestyle (food & preparation)

2. Walking

3. Leg Massager

4. Compression Stockings

5. Lymphedema Therapist

6. Taking electrolytes (LMNT not one with sugar)

7. Increased Salt

8. Good Protein

9. Dry Brushing (before shower with a dry brush)

10. Sunshine (daily if possible)



 

Copyright © 2023 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2023  Kathleen G. Lupole



1 comment:

Shaun said...

Thank you, Kat!
You are an inspiration.

from RadishRose