Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Receiving Deliveries In An Apartment Building

US Postal Service


Living as I do, as a single retired senior citizen without a vehicle, I rely on buying things I need or use online. That means I get many deliveries. Sometime through FedEx or UPS. Most times through the US Postal Service. Sometimes I like one better than the others. Sometimes not so much. It has been only within the last year or so that I started getting deliveries on Sundays. It didn't really matter to me if they came on Sunday or not because I was used to waiting until Monday for the delivery anyway. Those deliveries are usually from Amazon and don't always come through the post office. 


Intercom System in Entrance


Where I live we have locked doors to our lobby. Our mailboxes are in there. So whoever delivers our mail or our packages has to come inside the building. You cannot just leave them outside the doors like some have been doing. One Walmart Delivery person left 3 bags of groceries in the entrance of my building! Anyone could pick it up there! There is an intercom system right at the entrance to the lobby. Just push a button to whatever apartment you have a delivery for and that tenant will open the lobby door for you (from their apartment). So easy! Yet these delivery people do not know how to use one! 




Last week I placed an order with Amazon for three different sets of gel pens. Three different colors. I believe they were from the same seller's store on Amazon. One set came within a couple days inside my mailbox. The next one came a day later but outside the lobby in the entrance in a chair. It was directly under the intercom (that the delivery person could not figure out how to use). The last set is the blue ones that I have been excitedly waiting for (of course). This set has taken a trip back and forth to Norwich, NY (where I live) from Syracuse. The funny thing is the post office is two blocks from where I live and twice it has been inside their building waiting to be delivered! Instead they sent it back! It took SEVEN days to get from NJ to here! That is, IF they actually deliver it today. My Informed Delivery email today said it would arrive today. I shall see.




I think these delivery services, whether it is packages, groceries or even food from restaurants need to teach a class to these people. One entitled, How to Use Good Sense to Delivery Items So Customers Actually Receive Them. I realize they are in a hurry to make the delivery. But if the customer does not receive it due to where you left it then you did not make the delivery. Ask yourself, "Is this spot safe from someone stealing packages?" Outside a building would be red flag to most people. Why is ringing an intercom so difficult for some? When they ring mine, I go right downstairs to get it. They don't even have to come up to my apartment.


Doors locked!


I am changing a couple of things I do from now on. I chose one certain day of the week for Amazon deliveries. Amazon said sometimes they may not come on that day and of course, that defeats the purpose of it. It is worth a try though. I will not choose a week-end day. Maybe a Tuesday would be a good choice. I will stop ordering groceries on week-ends and choose one certain day of the week for those deliveries. The regular mailman who comes to my building must have a key to the building as he has no problem with deliveries. So sticking to weekdays would be the thing to do.


Stairs to the lobby doors are steep!

Another thing these delivery people do is to leave heavy boxes at the bottom of the stairs in the entrance. The sign on our building clearly states it is senior housing. So they must know we are not capable of carrying heavy boxes up the stairs! I have struggled with getting my pet bunny's box of hay up the stairs more than a few times. Yet a number of times I open my apartment door to find someone delivered the hay right to my apartment door! It is not that difficult for someone to do the job they were hired to do. Just do it the best you can. Don't do it halfway. I am one of those customers who writes reviews or answers the email that the company sends me asking how the delivery went. I tell them the truth. So if you do a good job I will tell them that too.





Copyright © 2024 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2024  Kathleen G. Lupole



No comments: