Saturday, July 20, 2024

Every Day Life In My Apartment



 I cook and I clean every day. Really not much different than I did when I lived on my homestead. The differences are that I am living with my pet Rabbit only. So he is the only one I need to feed and look out for besides myself. I spend time on my computer the same as I did back then too. The main differences is that I now have all the conveniences I didn't have back then. The ones I thought I would have eventually. Like running water! Like air conditioning! I suffered horribly there in the summer time. I hated it and was miserable due to the heat. At my age now, I think the hot weather would have killed me. I cannot take it even now but at least I have the relief of a cold apartment.




My household chores would not be so bad if my knees weren't as bad as they are now. I was walking outside with my walker regularly and that was doable. Then this hot weather struck early this year. In June. So much for me walking outside. The last time I walked outside was to my hair appointment and the walk there was not too bad. Coming back though, in the hottest part of the afternoon was a killer. I doubted several times on the way back if I was going to make it. I did. It is not that far. 




I cook all my own meals in my small kitchen. They do not heat up my apartment since I use counter top kitchen appliances. Such as the Duxtop induction stove top burner and the NuWave convection oven. Both are energy efficient and do not put out much heat when in use. The Instant Pot is also a major part of my small kitchen. I have other kitchen appliances but these three are my major every day sources. I like to cook so I have no complaints about making meals for myself daily. 




My apartment is designed for a disabled person and is perfect for me. I know a lot of people will tell me, "Oh I could never live in a studio apartment." Yet there are many advantages to doing so. Especially as you age. For one thing, it is cheaper. My rent is very low. Due to the small size of a studio (mine is 338 sq. ft.) you are forced to downsize and get rid of your clutter. Less stuff makes it easier to care for it. Easier to keep it clean. Nothing for you to fall over. I am fortunate that my studio has a completely separate kitchen. Some just have a kitchen built along one small wall area. My kitchen is U shaped. It enables me to reach from one side to the other. This gives me a way to hold on if needed while working in it. I find it to be the perfect design for me. It is also big enough to use a wheelchair in it. Though I do not need one presently. 




The dining area of my apartment that would normally be used for eating, I use for my computer and related equipment. It comes in handy since I cannot stand longer than five minutes at a time in the kitchen. I will start something cooking and come sit down and can still keep an eye on it from here. I do not use the table for eating. It is a kitchen/dining table but it makes more sense to keep my computer on it. I bring a tray table to my chair when I am having a meal. It is easier and more relaxing. 




I find that the more I get rid of things the more I like it. I also find that the more I can do for myself the better it is for me. Privacy in my apartment is important to me so at this time I do not have anyone helping me. There are certain ways I do things and I do not want anyone trying to change that or me. Maybe my way of doing something is not the easiest or the fastest, but it is my way. I plan on keeping it that way.




Copyright © 2024 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2024  Kathleen G. Lupole

No comments: